Geology Lab Adjunct Instructor
- Duties and Responsibilities
Application Pool Notice
Laredo College continuously accepts applications for part-time (adjunct) instructors to create a pool of candidates for each session/semester. Applications will be reviewed and positions will be filled based on department needs. Applications received for this pool will remain active for one year.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This individual will be responsible for teaching science labs in his/her discipline in the Department of Natural Sciences with duties as listed below and in accordance with the Laredo College Manual of Policy and the Faculty Procedures Manual.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach assigned courses in your discipline by preparing laboratory materials and activities, which are based upon best practices and appropriate use of technologies within the discipline to facilitate student learning. Laboratory activities may require some heavy lifting (up to 50 pounds).
- Make every effort to provide a safe learning environment for the students and be responsible for the security of equipment, materials, and laboratories.
- Provide students with timely evaluation of their progress and with educational assistance within assigned courses including tutoring, referral to available to available student support services, and by acting as an educational resource for students.
- Provide timely and accurate information and/or reports throughout the semester and at the end of each semester to the Registrar's Office and Departmental Office. (This includes final exam and course grades, grade records, attendance records, grade distributions, copies of final exams, competency analysis, etc.)
- Work a minimum of 2 hours a week on campus including a minimum of 0.5 office hours per contact hour per week.
- Teach day, evening, weekend, distance learning courses, at either campus, off-campus and/or out-of-town courses as assigned.
- Keep current with changes and advances in the fields of science, technology, and pedagogy and incorporate these into the appropriate teaching areas.
- Participate in library collection development for the disciplines through the request of materials and the evaluation of the present holdings.
- Attend meetings called by the College President, Provost/Vice President of Academic Affairs, Dean of Arts & Sciences, Department Chairperson, or Committee Chairpersons.
- Follow the proper procedures for requisitioning textbooks, instructional supplies, expendable supplies, and travel requisitions and reports.
- Substitute for colleagues when necessary.
- Follow the approved academic calendar and exam schedules.
- Participate in the procedures of evaluation of courses by students and by supervisors.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the College President, Provost/Vice-President of Academic Affairs, Dean of Arts & Sciences, or Department Chairperson.
NOTICE: Required Documents
To be considered for this position, you are required to upload your resume and unofficial transcript(s). If recommended for this position an official transcript(s) will be required. If a license or certificate is required for this position, upload proof of your current license/certificate.
- Bachelor's Degree is required.
- Bachelor's Degree in a field of science is preferred.
- Some experience in teaching, preferably at the community and/or senior college level, is desirable.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The individual must be knowledgeable, mature, and concerned with the academic progress of students.
- The individual must be cooperative and professional in dealing with college administrators, colleagues, and students.
- The ability to operate specialized laboratory equipment, audio-visual aids, and computers.
- Ability to develop laboratory and lecture strategies to enhance teaching effectiveness are essential.
- Additional Information
Department Chair, Dean of Arts & Sciences, and/or the Provost/Vice-President of Academic Affairs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit.
The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, or crouch.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items weighing up to 50 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a standard office environment.
Work-inside a well-lighted and air-conditioned area most of the time.
The noise level in the work environments is usually quiet to moderate.
Required to work safely and follow safety rules.
Report unsafe working conditions and behavior.
Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Immediate supervisor may assign other duties.
May be required to work outside regular working hours, as needed.
May be required to work at a different college work site or campus as needed.
In compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Executive Order 11246 and Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Laredo College is open to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, or national origin who are otherwise eligible for admission as students. Furthermore, Laredo College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and no applicant or employee will be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability or national origin. This institution will not enter knowingly into any contractual agreement for services or supplies with any firm failing to follow fair employment practices.
Foreign degrees require an evaluation for United States equivalency from an approved stated education agency or having membership with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Transcripts issued outside the United States of America require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached to your online application at the time of applying. For your convenience, we have provided the following links to assist you in complying with this requirement. However, you may use any other certified transcript evaluation service. http://tea.texas.gov/Texas_Educators/Certification/Out-of-State_Certification/Foreign_Credential_Evaluation_Services/ http://www.naces.org/members.htm
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. LC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of the job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by LC at its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*