Classified Network Engineer
Are you a seasoned network engineering professional with a passion for building mission-critical networks using proven technologies?
Are you an enthusiastic team player eager to launch a fulfilling career contributing to the development, integration, testing, and deployment of specialized ground systems hardware and software for cutting-edge spaceflight systems?
If so, we extend a warm invitation to join our distinguished team within the National Security Space (NSS) Mission Area of the Space Exploration Sector (SES) at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab (APL) onsite, situated on our Laurel, Maryland campus, as a Classified Network Engineer.
As a member of our team, you will collaborate closely with a dedicated group of professionals, including System Administrators, Infrastructure Engineers, and Information Security experts.
As a Classified Network Engineer, your primary responsibility will include:
- Administering and fortifying network infrastructure, encompassing switches, routers, firewalls, and TACLANEs.
- Providing expertise in engineering design, technology implementations, and technology refreshes.
- Crafting essential supporting documentation such as architectural diagrams, test plans, device configurations, processes, and procedures.
- Ensuring the continuous adherence to robust security protocols and network configurations, guaranteeing compliance with regulatory mandates.
- Collaborating with technical teams to facilitate the development, integration, and testing of information systems, data, and voice networks, aligning with program and mission requirements, plans, performance benchmarks, quality standards, and security objectives.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you possess:
- A Bachelor's degree in Network Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, a related field, or equivalent professional experience.
- Over 5 years of Networking experience, including design, configuration, and deployment, preferably with Cisco IOS or similar technologies.
- Familiarity with configuring, managing, and troubleshooting TACLANEs, including GEM One.
- Current DoD 8570 certification (Security+ active Cisco CCNA certification or its equivalent).
- Experience implementing Risk Management Framework (RMF) technical controls through Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIG) and Security Requirements Guides (SRG).
- A working knowledge of the Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency (DCSA) Assessment and Authorization Process Manual (DAAPM) or Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) policies.
- A track record of successfully leading engineering efforts from concept development to implementation, providing regular progress updates to stakeholders, and driving projects to completion.
- Exceptional communication skills, allowing you to interact effectively with stakeholders at all organizational levels, including external sponsors, while conveying complex technical information both orally and in writing.
- The willingness and ability to work outside normal business hours to complete critical maintenance tasks and resolve outages.
- Hold an active Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you possess:
- A Master’s degree in Network Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field.
- Over 10 years of Networking experience, including design, configuration, and deployment, preferably with Cisco IOS or similar technologies.
- Hands-on experience in installing, configuring, and troubleshooting Cisco equipment.
- Hands-on experience in installing, configuring, and troubleshooting TACLANEs, including GEM One.
- Hands-on experience in installing, configuring, and troubleshooting Palo Alto equipment.
- Experience working with and maintaining SolarWinds.
- Proficiency in scripting and the use of automated tools.
- Administration experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) operating systems (OS) and/or Windows OS.
- Familiarity with Space Communications Protocol Standards (SCPS), Space Flight Launch, Spacecraft Processing Operations, Satellite Control Network (SCN), Space Ground Link Systems (SGLS), or Space and Missile Systems Center System Engineering standards.
- Hold an active Top Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Special Working Conditions:
Given the classified security nature of this position will require the selected applicant to be physically present on-site at our Laurel, Maryland campus on a regular basis with minimal opportunity to work from home. Special Working Conditions: Monitor and respond to e-mail, voicemail, and business communications via enterprise- issued portable communications devices. Flexibility to work non- standard business hours and to be on-call to support planned, mission critical operations. Occasional intercampus driving of department service vehicle. Occasional business travel to field offices and test sites.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*