Full Job Description
The Speech Instructor advises students, provides quality classroom instruction, and maintains required scholastic records. The instructor participates fully in institutional planning and assessment processes, management of the departmental curriculum, course scheduling, and department budget. The instructor seeks continuous improvement of the Speech curriculum, instruction, and use of resources.
SALARY SCHEDULE PLACEMENT:Â Range of $44,780 - $87,562, based upon the Alabama Community College System and Shelton State Community College Salary Schedule D-1 to be determined by the applicantâ€™s education and years of applicable experience. This is a nine-month position with summer teaching availability dependent upon enrollment. The salary schedule for faculty requires 175 duty days for the academic year (fall and spring semesters) and, if employed for the summer, 54 duty days for the summer term. Applicant acknowledges that if selected for the position that applicantâ€™s placement on the applicable salary schedule will be dependent upon the verified information provided by the applicant in accordance with the applicable work experience verification requirements stated herein.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to the mission and goals of the community college as well as the Humanities and Communications Department
- Demonstrate and maintain a high level of competence and expertise in the teaching field and subject area
- Teach courses as assigned by the Division Chair, and design and deliver each course ensuring an effective learning experience
- Submit to the Division Chair a course plan for each course taught in accordance with college guidelines
- Provide instruction for Speech courses in the day, evening, or online on any Shelton State campus or instructional site
- Implement effective and comprehensive use of current technology in all instructional areas
- Inform students concerning course requirements, evaluation procedures, attendance requirements, and academic progress
- Provide for effective evaluation of the learning experience of each student
- Maintain necessary attendance, scholastic, and personnel records and submit them according to announced deadlines
- Participate in annual planning and evaluation sessions in support of the Collegeâ€™s vision, mission, and institutional goals and objectives
- Demonstrate effective people skills, communication skills, and work ethic
- Participate in recruiting for the Humanities and Communications Department
- Assist the Division Chair with developing and managing the departmental budget and class schedule in support of institutional goals and mission
- Advise students regarding academic course offerings as assigned
- Demonstrate ability to use the computer effectively for word processing, electronic communication, maintaining online instructional resources, and for appropriate computer applications in the teaching discipline
- Seek continuous improvement of the Speech curriculum, instruction, and resources
- Participate in college events and functions
- Actively participate on division/college committees, teams, and task forces
- Post and maintain regular office hours in accordance with prevailing policy
Other Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Comply with policies of the Alabama Community College System and the College
- Serve on College committees as required
- Participate in professional development, compliance, performance excellence, and training activities as required
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Masterâ€™s degree in speech from a regionally accredited institution or a masterâ€™s degree with a minimum of eighteen (18) graduate semester hours in rhetoric and speech communication
- Teaching experience at the college level
- Coursework, experience, and evidence of ability to teach a range of college level Speech and communications courses
- Experience in developing/teaching courses via distance learning technology
APPLICATION PROCEDURES:Â The submission of a complete online application packet by the deadline is the sole responsibility of the applicant. Absent special circumstances, incomplete or late application packets will eliminate the possibility of an interview. No previous application files will be transferred for consideration of this position. No copies will be given of the application information submitted. Applicants must meet eligibility requirements to work in the U.S. at the time of appointment and must travel at their own expense for all in-person interviews.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:Â A completed application packet consists of:
- A cover letter of application specifically detailing and relating the applicantâ€™s education, and experience to the qualifications, duties, and responsibilities of the position.
- An online Shelton State Community College employment application.
- A current resume.
- Copies of postsecondary transcript(s) identifying the applicant, institution, and verifying degree(s) earned that demonstrate that the applicant meets the educational requirements for this position. If employed, all official transcripts must be received in the Office of Human Resources within thirty (30) days of the employment start date.
IMPORTANT â€“ PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
WORK EXPERIENCE VERIFICATION:
Meeting Minimum Requirements:Â If the requirements for a position list work experience in a field or area the Applicant must provide written verification(s) of their applicable work experience in order to be hired for the position. Such written verification(s) of work experience must demonstrate that the applicant meets the minimum work experience requirement. Applicants who do not produce this information as indicated will be ineligible for hire and subject to having any offer of employment withdrawn.
Salary Calculation:Â For all faculty positions on the D-1 Salary Schedule, the salary amount for the selected applicant is determined by step and rank placement on the applicable schedule. Rank placement is dependent upon the applicant's highest applicable degree and/or applicable credit hours. Step placement is dependent upon the following: (a) all work experience in public education in Alabama and (b) all other work experience outside of public education in Alabama that, in the sole judgment of the College, directly relates to the requirements of the position. The applicant selected for the position must provide original transcripts verifying their highest degree and written verification(s) of this work experience within the time provided herein if such experience is to be considered in determining their initial step place on the Salary Schedule.
Format for Work Experience Verifications:Â Work experience verifications should be in the form of verification letters from employers and must include complete employment dates, job title(s), job duties, and an indication whether such employment was full-time or part-time, and if part-time, the average number of hours worked each week. The letters should be on official letterhead and contain an authorized personnel signature. The Collegeâ€™s official employment verification form is also acceptable and is available upon request. If an employment verification cannot be obtained due to a legitimate reason, for purposes of meeting minimum requirements an applicant may submit copies of other trustworthy documentation such as appointment letters, contracts, pay stubs, or W-2 forms documenting the term of employment. However, such documentation is generally insufficient for salary calculation purposes if job duties are not self-evident in the documentation.
Deadline for Producing Work Experience Verification:Â With limited exception, work experience verification documentation must be produced prior to any official offer of employment. Work experience verification from a current employer may, upon request, be delayed until an official offer of employment. Any offer of employment at a salary step greater than zero (0) or made without prior verification of any required work experience, is contingent upon production of this documentation by the applicant within ten (10) days of the offer. It is the applicantâ€™s sole responsibility to provide this verification of work experience. The College is not responsible for any cost associated with such verifications.
EEOC, E-VERIFY, BACKGROUND CHECK STATEMENTS:Â Shelton State Community College is an equal opportunity employer. It is the official policy of the Alabama Community College System, that no person shall, on the grounds of race, color, disability, gender, religion, creed, national origin, or age, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. Shelton State Community College will make reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled applicants or employees. Shelton State Community College reserves the right to withdraw this job announcement at any time prior to the awarding. More than one position in the same job classification may be filled from the applicants for this position should another vacancy occur during the search process. Any offer of employment is contingent upon a satisfactory criminal background investigation. The applicant may be responsible for the cost of the criminal background investigation.
This employer participates in E-Verify.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*