Uses skills as a seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of industry practices and organizational policies and procedures; resolves a wide range of issues in imaginative as well as practical ways. Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Contacts are both internal and external to the department.
Reporting to the Deputy Division Manager for Finance, the Finance Analyst is critical to the daily operations of the Division. The incumbent is responsible for a high volume of transactions and reports to support the effective and efficient budgetary and financial management of the Division’s non-sponsored resources encompassing $32M that is a mix of funds flow (profees), Division gifts, Faculty gifts, endowment income, discretionary funds, professional service agreements and contracts, and financial commitments to faculty for recruitment and retention. Incumbent is responsible for following and supporting internal controls; compliance with gift and endowment restrictions; compliance with UC, campus and DOM policies and procedures; and supporting continual process improvement.
Responsibilities include preparation of the fellow entries in the annual budget; preparation of the monthly reports used by division leadership in decision support; preparation and distribution of the individual faculty non-sponsored portfolio reports. Incumbent serves as a resource and front-line customer service agent to faculty and staff. Incumbent prepares prospective and retroactive funding updates for faculty and staff; prepares monthly payments for a variety of clinical pay plans; completes the general ledger verification; prepares journals; approves purchasing (BearBuy); prepares faculty expense reports (reimbursements); collaborates closely with the division capital asset custodian in the bi-annual capital asset inventory; prepares the overdraft report, proposing solutions and initiating resolutions. Contributes to the creation, maintenance and reporting of operational and budget processes, and finance planning. Contributes to the development and monitoring of policies and procedures for Division operations.
To see the salary range for this position (we recommend that you make a note of the job code and use that to look up):TCS Non-Academic Titles Search (ucop.edu)
Please note: The compensation ranges listed online for roles not covered by a bargaining unit agreement are very wide, however a job offer will typically fall in the range of 80% - 120% of the established mid-point. An offer will take into consideration the experience of the final candidate AND the current salary level of individuals working at UCSF in a similar role.
For roles covered by a bargaining unit agreement, there will be specific rules about where a new hire would be placed on the range.
To learn more about the benefits of working at UCSF, including total compensation, please visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
The Division of Cardiology is one of the largest clinical, research and training divisions of the Department of Medicine (DOM) at UCSF. Within the Division are sub-specialty sections for: Adult Congenital Heart Disease; Advanced Heart Failure, Transplant, and Pulmonary Hypertension; Cardiac Electrophysiology; Cardio-Oncology and Immunology; Critical Care Cardiology; Echocardiography and Cardiac Imaging; General Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology; and Prevention. The Division runs several clinical practices in multiple sites, conducts basic and clinical research, and educates medical students, residents, clinical fellows and postdoctoral scholars through ACGME as well as non-ACGME training programs with rotations spanning the Parnassus and Mission Bay campuses, Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital, and the San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center. In addition, the Division has significant and complex financial and administrative relationships with the Department of Medicine (DOM) and the UCSF Medical Center, as well as large patient care programs in the sections noted above, large clinical, Federal, and privately supported research programs and several faculty laboratories. The Division has over 70 full-time faculty, 2 MSP physicians, 12 non-faculty academics, 36+ clinical fellows, 7 post-doctoral research fellows, and 70+ research support and administrative staff.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training
- Minimum 3+ years of related experience
- Thorough knowledge of finance policies, practices, and systems
- Ability to independently gather required information to organize, and perform financial analysis assignments
- Proven ability to effectively present information verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner
- Proven ability using spreadsheet and database software for complex financial analysis, fiscal management, and financial reports
- Proven interpersonal skills with peers throughout the organization; strong service orientation and critical thinking skills; and attention to detail. Proven ability using organizational skills to multi-task in a high volume environment
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to function as a member of a team
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of internal control practices and their impact on protecting University resources
- Demonstrated ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality
- Comprehensive understanding of university policies, rules, regulations, procedures, and practices, particularly in regards to internal controls, budget, accounting and fund management
- Proficiency and strong knowledge of handling of professional fees, division/department gifts, faculty gifts, endowment income, discretionary funds, professional service agreements and contracts, and financial commitments to faculty for recruitment and retention
- Prior experience in an academic environment
- Prior experience and proficiency working with UCPath, MyReports, PeopleSoft Journals, PeopleSoft Asset Management, PeopleSoft Research Administration, MyExpense, BearBuy, GLV, PeopleConnect, PLUS, HBS, and other UC software/systems
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences. We bring together the world’s leading experts in nearly every area of health. We are home to five Nobel laureates who have advanced the understanding of cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, aging and stem cells.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence – also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity – both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at diversity.ucsf.edu
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Job Code and Payroll Title
007709 FINANCIAL ANL 3
Financial, Professional (Non-Clinical)
99 - Policy-Covered (No Bargaining Unit)
Mission Bay (SF), Parnassus Heights (SF)
Additional Shift Details
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*