Vice President of Development
Vice President of Development
The Vice President of Development (VP/Dev) fosters a culture of philanthropy within Children’s Health Fund (CHF) assuring that the organization’s development department, development communications, operations, and systems run smoothly to ensure CHF meets its fundraising goals. The VP/Dev leads staff and volunteers to institutionalize philanthropy and fund development within the organization, actively planning, coordinating, and assuring implementation of strategies to develop donors and contributions to support the organization.
Concurrently, the position assures development and maintenance of appropriate systems to fund development including, but not limited to, donor research and cultivation, donor gift processing and recognition.
Reporting to the president and chief executive officer (President/CEO), the VP/Dev serves as a key executive leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting CHF. The VP/Dev will be accountable for overall fundraising success. This role will collaborate with internal stakeholders to market and raise funds for CHF through:
- major gifts from individuals, and business and corporate sponsorships;
- grants from local and national foundations;
- contributions associated with particular CHF events or projects;
- restricted giving campaigns;
- planned giving;
- matching gifts;
- direct mail and web-based giving; and
- building relationships with principal gift prospects.
Key elements of this position include donor-centric communication—an ability to understand the needs and motives of donors—and experience in structuring partnerships that simultaneously fulfill the requirements of CHF and its clinical and educational partners.
Long term cultivation of individual and institutional donors, development of a close and trusting relationship with the President/CEO and partnership with CHF’s leadership and programs staff, will be particularly critical to the overall success of the fundraising effort. The VP/Dev will act as coach and guide to CHF Board members in all aspects of fundraising.
S/he will expand and diversify CHF’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. It is expected that the amount raised by CHF will increase in future years as the VP/Dev systematically and effectively strengthens the organization's overall fundraising capacity. S/he will also explore additional revenue generating pipelines and oversee the development and implementation of new initiatives.
Executive & Strategic Role
- Develop, execute, and manage CHF strategic fundraising planning activities
- Lead a growing team of frontline individual and institutional giving directors as well as development operations and systems support staff
- Maintain high-level donor portfolio
- Oversee frontline fundraiser portfolio development
- Attend and present at CHF Board of Directors meetings
- Oversee revenue coding systems, budget build-up plans, and moves management execution
- Produce monthly revenue reports for President/CEO and chief of staff (COS) review
- Collaborate with the COS and chief financial officer to develop and implement CHF’s financial strategy
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position CHF ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Monitor all donor information, providing and presenting statistical analysis to board and senior leaders
- Represent CHF at external functions and events
- Actively engage in ongoing, organization-wide, anti-racism efforts
- Other duties as assigned
Fundraising & Resource Development
- Working closely with CHF’s President/CEO to develop strategies and manage the execution of board gifts and pledges
- Support and partner with the President/CEO and board members on all major fundraising initiatives
- Oversee and direct engagement of CHF advisory council
- Oversee and direct corporation, foundation, individual, volunteer and event revenue streams
- 10-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources)
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside CHF
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's preferred
- High energy and passion for CHF mission is essential
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
The Children’s Health Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to a diverse work environment.
Children’s Health Fund works in a hybrid (remote/in-office) work environment.
Salary commensurate with experience. The Children’s Health Fund offers an excellent
HOW TO APPLY
If interested, please send your resume and cover letter (including salary requirements) to
No phone calls, please.
For further information on our programs, please visit our website www.childrenshealthfund.org and check out the Healthy and Ready to Learn Resource and Training Center website, www.hrl.nyc
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*