132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions. 32 New Jobs Today.
Senior Workplace Relations Advisor
Senior Workplace Relations Advisor?
Location : Sydney, Australia
Salary : $138,799 + 17% superannuation
Posted : 29 Jul 2022
End of advertisement period : 06 Aug 2022
Ref : 0095885
Job Type : Professional Services, Human Resources
Contract Type : Permanent
Hours : Full Time
About the opportunity
The Workplace Relations (WR) team plays a critical role within our HR function, by providing high-quality workplace relations advice and support to managers, clients, stakeholders, and staff across the university. As a result, we are seeking a consultative Senior Workplace Relations Advisor (SWRA) to deploy their expertise across the areas of complaints, early intervention, organisational change, performance, and misconduct matters. Working as part of a Centre of Expertise within the HR model, you will work closely with HR Partners and will contribute to education programs, awareness sessions and capability development programs within the HR function.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- adapt and translate workplace relations best practice to deliver quality support and advice to staff and management across the university
- provide expert advice on complex and sensitive complaints of bullying, discrimination and harassment, and performance and misconduct matters
- support senior leaders with performance management plans (particularly with performance improvement plan stage, union engagement and/or in relation to another complex workplace relations matter)
- liaise with colleagues in WR, HR and the Office of the General Council (OGC) to facilitate the prevention of or early intervention in workplace conflict and complaints
- conduct preliminarily assessments and investigations by reviewing documentation and data and interviewing University staff, relating to workplace relations matters
- enhance organisational effectiveness and practices and promote productive relationships with unions
- support industrial change management such as with change proposals and the development of reports on active changes throughout the University
- ensure that decisions are made by the appropriate delegate in compliance with the enterprise agreement and all applicable policies and procedures
- actively promote the strategic objectives of the University and Human Resources Workforce Strategy.
- extensive experience working as a Senior Workplace Relations Advisor (or similar) with a large, complex and unionised organisation (tertiary sector is highly desirable)
- superior capability in the timely and effective management of complex workplace relations cases, such as performance and disciplinary matters and bullying
- formal investigation skills and experience as well as expertise in conflict resolution and other alternative dispute resolution methods
- elevated relationships management skills when liaising with key internal and external stakeholders including HR staff, lawyers and unions regarding complex WR matters or associated proceedings in a court or Tribunal
- extensive experience in providing expert ER/IR advice, coaching and support to senior staff
- proficiency in accurately interpreting and applying knowledge of employment laws and regulations and industrial instruments in managing complex and sensitive matters
- superior influencing and negotiation skills and the ability to operate with tact, diplomacy and professionalism within diverse internal and external environments
- outstanding presentation and communication skills to meaningfully deliver complex messaging to varied audiences including senior leaders
- project/case management skills and experience, including the ability to develop and communicate plans and strategies, and implement through to resolution
- proven capability in developing and presenting educational material to facilitate and improve the effectiveness of workplace relations in a matrixed organisation.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Nayomi Siriwardane, Recruitment Operations, by email email@example.com.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Saturday 06 August 2022 11:59 PM
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*