PT Instructor - Mathematics - Continuous Applicant Pool
$85.17 - $116.28 Hourly
CA 90405, CA
Part Time Faculty
- Teach developmental (arithmetic, prealgebra, geometry, elementary and intermediate algebra) and/or college level mathematics courses.
- Each instructor will prepare there own syllabus and course materials using the course outline, textbook and course calendar provided by the Mathematics Department.
- The instructor is responsible for using email on a weekly basis to check for departmental information, following departmental policies and procedures, completing flex hours in proportion to number of units assigned and submitting required forms/rosters in a timely fashion.
- The instructor will also hold weekly office hours.
Master's Degree in one of the following:
- Applied Mathematics
A Bachelor's Degree in either of the above AND a Master's Degree in one of the following:
- Mathematics Education
- or the equivalent
- Community college teaching experience in mathematics
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to teach in the content area (a teaching demonstration will be part of the interview process)
- Commitment to using a variety of teaching strategies to present mathematical ideas.
A completed application consists of the following:
- Online District Application
Starting salaries for PT Faculty are based on educational achievement. Initial placement is within the starting salary range. Further advancements are based on longevity and educational growth.
Candidates should show evidence of sensitivity to, and understanding of, the socioeconomic, academic, cultural and ethnic diversity within the college student population, including students with physical and/or learning disabilities, as these factors relate to differences in learning styles.
Ideal candidates will have recent experience working with African American, Latinx, Native American and other racially minoritized students in the classroom, and a willingness to use culturally responsive instructional practices.
Candidates should also demonstrate sensitivity to issues of diversity and have the ability to motivate and teach community college students of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds, sexual orientations, genders, cultures and learning styles, as well as students with disabilities or varied levels of academic preparation.
Santa Monica College encourages candidates that are equity-minded to apply. SMC is a minority-serving, Hispanic-serving institution. We actively seek to attract candidates from minority groups that value equity, diversity and inclusion. Equity, diversity and inclusion are built into the culture at SMC and are an essential component of the work that we do. SMC is committed to racial and socioeconomic diversity as it is a reflection of our student population and we strive to hire candidates that share this commitment.
Equal Employment Opportunity Disclosure
The Santa Monica Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. All qualified applicants for employment, as well as District employees, shall have full and equal access to employment opportunity. No person shall be subjected to unlawful discrimination in any program or activity of the District. The District's Board Policy 3420 (Equal Employment Opportunity) may be accessed at: http://www.smc.edu/ACG/Documents/Board_Policy_Manual/Updated%20Board%20Policies%202017/Board%20Policy%20Chapter%203.pdf (Download PDF reader)
The Santa Monica Community College District, in its desire to select outstanding faculty members from the largest possible pool of qualified applicants, recognizes the fact that candidates may attain expertise in a discipline through a variety of means. Certain combinations of education, experience and other accomplishments in the field may be judged by the District as equal to the stated minimum qualifications for this position. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications are encouraged to apply and provide appropriate documentation of their qualifications. For further details regarding equivalency criteria, please download the Equivalency Application Statement Form available at: https://jobs.smc.edu/applicants/static/customers/655/EquivalencyStatementPDF.pdf (Download PDF reader)
Conditions of Employment
Appointment is subject to verification of official transcripts, current or previous employment, tuberculosis and fingerprint clearance. Selected candidate must provide identification and work authorization.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*