This job has Expired
Instructor/Counselor-Spanish Speaking (Tenure Track) - WEOC
About Westchester Community College:
Westchester Community College was founded in 1946 as the New York State Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences in White Plains. In 1957, the County of Westchester bought the 360-acre John Hartford estate in Valhalla and designated 218 acres for the community college. Westchester Community College is more than just the county's largest educational institution. It is a living, breathing part of Westchester that goes beyond the influence of a typical college and affects the lives of all who enter its doors.
Under the general supervision of the WEOC Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, the Instructor/Counselor - Spanish Speaking:
- Administers and interprets interest, aptitude and intelligence tests and conducts interviews to obtain information about personal, academic and work histories to determine students' placement in programs and their service needs;
- Provides guidance and counseling related to personal, academic and work matters and provides intervention services when indicated;
- Works with other organizational staff to assist in developing and monitoring student progress toward increasing effective retention and completion plans;
- Develops and monitors progress toward achieving educational and career plans with students;
- Provides crisis intervention referrals to external service agencies, when indicated;
- Monitors and evaluates students' progress in class and takes appropriate action to address any concerns;
- Documents counseling, case management, educational and career planning and other student interventions in student files, as appropriate;
- Work evenings, as needed.
- All other duties, as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: ††
The successful candidate must possess the following:
- A minimum of a Master's Degree in Guidance, Social Work, Psychology, Counseling, or Student Personnel and one year of experience in admissions and/or guidance counseling work.
- Fluency†in Spanish.
- Demonstrated experience with case management, advising, and guidance/intervention services
- Excellent organizational, verbal/written communication, and teamwork skills.
- Experience working in a diverse and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to navigate technology and online application/enrollment systems.
All candidates must have evidence of responsiveness to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practice within the classroom.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:† †Strongly preferred qualifications include the following:† † † † † †
- Two years of professional experience working with non-traditional adult learners.
- Experience with Banner student database or similar system.
- Knowledge of online learning systems.
- Experience developing and facilitating educational workshops/seminars.
SALARY & BENEFITS:†The starting salary is $66,144 plus excellent benefits.†
Applicants must apply online by submitting a letter expressing interest in this position, a resume/CV, and contact information for†three professional references.† You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of hire.†Please login to:† https://sunywcc.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp in order to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.† The review of candidates will begin†immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence, workforce development, economic development and lifelong learning.†
The College will provide equal opportunity in all of its employment practices to all persons without unlawful discrimination on the basis of political affiliation, age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, pregnancy, arrest or conviction record, membership in any reserve component of the armed forces, or use or non-use of lawful products off College premises during nonworking hours, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*