132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Post Doctorate RA - Geochemist
Post Doctorate RA - Geochemist
Full Job Description
- Richland, Washington
- Sustainable Energy and Engineering
- Temporary Full-Time
Contribute to PNNL’s goals in understanding the complex systems and phenomena vital to the nation's energy and environmental resources as part of the Lab’s Physical Sciences Division (PSD). As a post-doctoral research associate in the Geochemistry group, you will join a talented, multi-investigator team to investigate geochemical speciation, mechanisms of interfacial reactions, and the nucleation, growth, and transformation of minerals in various environments. These geochemical systems will include carbon mineralization in mafic-ultramafic rock reservoirs.
The candidate will coordinate with project principal investigators to develop and conduct an innovative and productive line of experimental research in understanding the detailed structure and chemical dynamics at the interface between mineral nanoparticles and aqueous solutions, with a goal of understanding processes such as redox-catalyzed transformations, defect incorporation, and/or particle-mediated crystal growth. The candidate will conduct an experimental campaign involving mineral characterization and high pressure/temperature reactions. The successful candidate will be expected to lead manuscript development regularly, and maintain a strong overall publication record in the peer-reviewed scientific literature. The candidate will be expected to conduct research on a schedule that satisfies sponsor expectations and project milestones. The candidate will be expected to partner with other computational and experimental researchers on project teams to address complex problems in a multi-investigator team science setting.
If you are ready to advance your talents and training in geochemistry, materials science, chemical physics, chemistry, and hone your skills as a post-doctoral researcher at a national laboratory widely recognized for its work in the physical sciences, we want to connect with you. The ideal applicant has an interest in working closely with a team of researchers developing and deploying state-of-the-art experimental and computational approaches and applying them to solve complex problems. Details are below; you do not need to meet all of the preferred qualifications to be considered.
What you will do:
- Conduct independent research and work on team assignments
- Lead and contribute to manuscripts for peer-reviewed scientific literature
- Participate in design and execution of state-of-the-art experimental molecular studies.
- Interact, communicate, and problem solve with a diverse team of research staff across PNNL
- Contribute as a team member to support publications and reports led by other scientists
- Present research at team meetings, project/program review meetings, and international conferences
PNNL is committed to diversity and inclusion; applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged.
Candidates must have received a PhD within the past five years (60 months) or within the next 8 months from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrated proficiency in leading impactful publications in the peer-reviewed scientific literature in a domain relevant to the physical chemical emphasis of this position.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Proficiency in modern experimental laboratory research with demonstrated specialization in spectroscopic or microscopic solids/interfacial characterization approaches, including but not limited to scanning probe microscopies, scanning and/or transmission electron microscopy, electron paramagnetic spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, Raman and/or IR vibrational spectroscopies, time-resolved pump-probe spectroscopies, non-linear optical spectroscopies, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, synchrotron X-ray absorption or scattering spectroscopies, neutron scattering, mass spectrometries and/or associated imaging methods, and/or X-ray diffraction.
- Experience working with research teams, leading discussions, and managing and analyzing complex sets of computational molecular simulation data.
Ph.D in geochemistry, physical chemistry, chemistry, chemical engineering, materials sciences, or related physical science and engineering fields
Hazardous Working Conditions/Environment
Testing Designated Position
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is a world-class research institution powered by a highly educated, diverse workforce committed to the values of Integrity, Creativity, Collaboration, Impact, and Courage. Every year, scores of dynamic, driven people come to PNNL to work with renowned researchers on meaningful science, innovations and outcomes for the U.S. Department of Energy and other sponsors; here is your chance to be one of them!
At PNNL, you will find an exciting research environment and excellent benefits including health insurance, flexible work schedules and telework options. PNNL is located in eastern Washington State—the dry side of Washington known for its stellar outdoor recreation and affordable cost of living. The Lab’s campus is only a 45-minute flight (or ~3 hour drive) from Seattle or Portland, and is serviced by the convenient PSC airport, connected to 8 major hubs.
Commitment to Excellence, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Equal Employment Opportunity
Our laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment dedicated to solving critical challenges in fundamental sciences, national security, and energy resiliency. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. In support of this commitment, we encourage people of all racial/ethnic identities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment.
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), protected veteran status, and any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local laws.
Drug Free Workplace
PNNL is committed to a drug-free workplace supported by Workplace Substance Abuse Program (WSAP) and complies with federal laws prohibiting the possession and use of illegal drugs.
Battelle requires employees to have a COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of employment, subject to accommodation. Applicants are required to disclose their vaccination status following a conditional offer of employment and must attest to being fully vaccinated with a Center for Disease Control (CDC)-approved COVID-19 vaccination, or provide documentation of need for medical or religious exemption from the COVID-19 vaccination requirement.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*