Part-Time Building Inspection Instructor (Pool)
Position TitlePart-Time Building Inspection Instructor (Pool)
LocationCollege of San Mateo
DepartmentHuman Resources DIST (DEPT)
Percentage of Full TimeVaries
FLSAExempt (does not accrue overtime)
Months per Yearother
If other, please specifySemester assignments as needed
Salary RangePlacement on the adjunct faculty salary schedule is based upon education and credited experience. Pending any course assignment, initial placement can range as follows: Lab Course - $75.48 up to $103.03 per hour. Lecture Course - $87.88 up to $118.85.
Position TypePart-Time Faculty, Temporary
Who We Are
The College and the District
Who We Want
(1) Understand the importance of holding ourselves accountable as educators for closing equity gaps and engaging in equitable practices;
(2) Reframe inequities as a problem of practice and view the elimination of inequities as an individual and collective responsibility;
(3) Encourage positive race-consciousness and embrace human difference;
(4) Reflect on institutional and teaching practices and aim to make them more culturally responsive; and
(5) Strategically build buy-in and participation among colleagues for equity-related initiatives.
The San Mateo County Community College District seeks employees who value mentorship and working in a collegial, collaborative environment, guided by a commitment to helping all students achieve their educational goals. All departments strongly encourage collaboration across disciplines to create inclusive, integrated, and interdisciplinary learning experiences. College faculty are expected to be knowledgeable about, and willing to use, different learning and teaching methods appropriate to the students they serve.
Your cover letter must include discussion of the following questions:
• What do you feel are the best strategies for supporting students who have been historically marginalized?
• Think of the most successful class you have taught. What were the key factors in creating that success for racially-minoritized and other underserved disproportionately disadvantaged students?
• How is your teaching approach culturally-responsive to the students you serve?
This position is a “pool” position meaning that openings may or may not be currently available. The District maintains a “pool” of applications for positions which are needed on an ongoing basis at Cañada College, College of San Mateo, and Skyline College. The advantage of “pool” positions is when a position becomes available, the Dean may immediately begin screening applications from the available pool of applicants without having to post a position and wait while the position is being advertised. Your application for this position will be kept current for a period of two years.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Teach college-level Building Inspection courses
2. Consult with students during regularly scheduled office and lab hours
3. Maintain expertise in current teaching methodologies and curricula
4. Perform other professional duties as required by contract and general institutional needs
• Demonstrated cultural competence, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff
Equivalence to Minimum Qualifications
The applicant possesses a degree(s) with similar content to those listed for the relevant discipline. The name of the degree is close to that specified on the Disciplines List but the degree either has a different title or area of expertise or the coursework is slightly different.
Academic Background Equivalence
Related to disciplines in which a Master’s Degree is not generally expected or available. The applicant must have completed at least 24 semester units of coursework in the academic field and must possess at least the equivalent level of achievement and the equivalent in breadth, depth of understanding, and rigor in each of the following:
i) a broad cultural education usually met by the general education requirements for any Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree, and
ii) a detailed study of the discipline in breadth, depth, and rigor, usually met by course work required for the degree major.
Professional Achievement Equivalence
The applicant must have completed the General Education requirements for that degree and show evidence of outstanding professional achievement and/or substantial training in the requested field. The applicant must submit substantial evidence, which demonstrates that his/her preparation, teaching experience, work experience, and ability are equivalent to those expected from a person who meets the minimum qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
2. Experience as a building, plumbing, electrical, or mechanical inspector
3. Experience in the building trades
4. Ability to use and develop teaching methods that emphasize cooperation and collaboration, and engage students actively in learning, encouraging them to become independent, creative learners with higher-order teaching skills
5. Ability to organize and explain materials in ways appropriate to students with different abilities, levels of preparation, and cultural experiences
6. Skill and experience in motivating students from a broad spectrum of academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds
7. Ability to develop instructional learning outcomes and to develop methods for assessing students’ achievement of these outcomes
8. Ability to organize and teach both theoretical and practical applications of the subject matter in ways appropriate to students’ abilities
Open Until FilledYes
Special Instructions Summary
Conditions of Employment
1. Submit official transcripts (applies to all faculty or educational administrative positions)
Foreign Education completed outside of the United States must be deemed equivalent to that gained in conventional/accredited U.S. education programs in order for it to be considered for the satisfaction of minimum qualifications. Foreign transcripts must be translated and evaluated by a U.S.-based credentials evaluation service. The District currently accepts evaluations from agencies approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
2. Submit verifications of prior employment
3. Satisfactory references
4. Successfully being cleared for employment through the background checking process
In addition to background checks, the District may review publicly available information about a candidate on the Internet. If a candidate is aware of incorrect or inaccurate information that is available on the Internet, the candidate is welcome to address such an issue with the Office of Human Resources.
5. Present original documents for proof of eligibility to work in the United States
6. Approval of your employment by the SMCCCD Board of Trustees
7. Provide a certificate of Tuberculosis exam for initial employment.
8. Have fingerprints taken by a Live Scan computer (Clearance must be received prior to first day of employment). Please note that the California Education Code requires, in part, that community college districts shall not employ or retain in employment persons in public school service who have been convicted of certain felonies, a misdemeanor drug charge (including alcohol offenses) or misdemeanor moral turpitude (sexual offense) crime. However, consideration may be given to those whose drug convictions occurred more than five years ago. A conviction for other crimes may not necessarily disqualify you from the job for which you may be applying.
The San Mateo County Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ individuals who represent the rich diversity of cultures, language groups, and abilities of its surrounding communities.
Applicants who have disabilities may request that special accommodations be made in order to complete the selection process. Accommodation requests and a copy of the Americans with Disabilities Act applicant procedures can be made by completing our: Applicant Reasonable Accommodation Request Form
Annual Security Report
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*