This job has Expired
Gogebic Community College seeks candidates for a full-time Controller. This position reports to the Vice President of Business Services. The salary range is $64,049 to $81,517. The Controller supervises the Staff Accountant position. This position is responsible for organizing, directing, and evaluating a wide variety of financial activities including the College’s Jenzabar system of accounting and financial control. The position is responsible for the Business Office, Accounts Payable, Purchasing, Payroll, Receivables, and Auxiliary accounting. The incumbent in this job is expected to assist the College in achieving its vision and mission. Customer focus, college service, and a willingness to assist as needed are expectations for all employees. It is important that there is recognition, acceptance, and adherence to the community college mission and philosophy from our candidate.
• Directly supervises and maintains quality control over the General Ledger System.
• Responsible for the year-end audit process.
• Prepares routine and ad hoc financial reports including analysis for Administration, the College, and the College Foundation.
• Develops and administers fiscal plans, policies and procedures in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and industry best practices.
• Prepares data for the State of Michigan Activities Classification Structure and Federal reporting agencies.
• Manages the College’s fixed asset inventory control process, including implementing and monitoring proper labeling, tracking movements, record keeping, and disposal of assets.
• Reviews and approves all journal entries to ensure accurate posting to the general ledger.
• Reviews and monitors all grant expenditures in the general ledger for accuracy.
• Provides guidance/supervision to Financial Services staff regarding customer service, problem solving, and daily duties.
• Facilitates W-2’s, 1099’s and state and federal reports after calendar year-end.
• Processes monthly bank reconciliations for the College accounts.
• Reconciles payroll records for quarterly 941 deposit, bi-weekly Optional Retirement Plan requirements, and Office of Retirement Services requirements.
• Updates monthly salary, wage, and pension analysis.
• Verifies bi-weekly third-party adjunct payroll and monthly work-study payroll.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge Of/Ability To:
• Computerized accounting systems.
• Strong knowledge of non-profit accounting principles and processes.
• GAAP, GASB, cash and accrual-based accounting, financial statement preparation, and fixed asset accounting required.
• Supervisory experience.
• Demonstrated proficiency with database, spreadsheet, and word processing software.
• Strong analytical, critical thinking, project management, problem recognition, and resolution skills.
• Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability and experience developing, implementing and maintaining internal controls to effectively safeguard and manage fiscal resources.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting OR five years of experience in related field OR a CPA with a minimum of two years of related experience.
• Experience with computerized accounting systems and spreadsheets required.
• Independent problem solving, self-direction, and well-established time management skills.
• Experience providing customer service directly to end-users both physically present and remotely.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Don’t just work here... Live here.
About Our College:
Gogebic Community College is more than a place to work. It’s a place to be. As an Aspen Award finalist and the premier provider of quality two-year education in
Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, Gogebic employs a community college approach in delivering university-level quality.
Gogebic supports more than 1,000 students with small class sizes and an outcome-focused philosophy.
Gogebic Community College’s “Go BOLD” motto prescribes a dynamic environment in which students and employees alike are supported as they do great work, live adventurous lives, and build extraordinary futures.
About Our Region:
A few miles north of ordinary lies the Upper Peninsula’s Gogebic region.
Amid nearly a million acres of natural beauty in the Ottawa National Forest, Gogebic is a wonderland for work and a paradise for play. Our dazzling region, known for world-class fishing, hiking, skiing, biking, snowmobiling and outdoor adventuring, represents one of Michigan’s last unspoiled gems.
A Bold Place to Work…
• Gogebic is more than a community college… It’s a college community—known for supportive leadership and dynamic, down-to-earth employees.
• A community institution at the heart of our region’s workforce, the College and its graduates uplift not only local economies, but those throughout Michigan, and beyond.
• Combining high standards with a “serving the top 100%” approach, Gogebic Community College is a place to make a stand for your career…and make a difference in the lives of students.
A Bold Place to Ski…
• Gogebic Community College is the only college in the United States hosting an oncampus ski resort. Home to GCC’s nationally renowned Ski Area Management program, the Mt. Zion Recreational Complex is a professionally managed and maintained public ski facility featuring a state-of-the-art lift and 300 feet of vertical.
A Bold Place to Be…
• The Gogebic region provides a stunning, million-acre backdrop on which to explore adventure, connect with nature, and discover yourself.
• Located four hours from the Twin Cities and six hours from Chicago, Gogebic residents get the best of both worlds: small-town connectedness, with access to big-city culture.
• Local hiking, biking, skiing, and snowboarding trails include the North Country Trail and the famed 1,200-mile Iron Belle Trail, as well as routes traversing Black River Harbor, the Porcupine Mountains, Sylvania wilderness, and the Ottawa National Forest.
• With a persistent economy driven by a mix of construction, manufacturing, tourism, transportation, and retail, the region boasts a stable workforce, with skilled positions paying living wages.
Gogebic Community College is a learning community that contributes to academic, cultural, economic, and social success for our students and region.
Applications will be received until position is filled. Review of applications will begin immediately. Interested individuals should submit a portfolio containing all five of the following in one email or one mailed envelope:
1. Letter of interest
2. Detailed resume
3. Three references with current contact information
4. GCC Application for Employment
5. Unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment)
email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or mail to: Debbie Janczak
Director of Human Resources
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
Gogebic Community College is an equal opportunity educator and employer
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*