Certified Public Safety Officer
- Class Description
Responsible for campus public safety services as directed on assigned shift. The positions are located on the Essex, Dundalk, Catonsville Campuses and Owings Mills Extension Center.
- Minimum Requirements
- High school diploma or GED required, with some college preferred.
- Must be 21 years of age at time of hire with a minimum of (1) one year police or security experience.† BA/BS in criminal justice or related field may substitute one (1) year of experience.† Military experience may substitute† (1) one†year of police or security experience.
- A clean driving record (4 points or less) required with no major violations within the past 5 years and no more than (1) one serious violation or (2) two moving violations within the past (3) three years.
- Candidates required to successfully pass a background investigation, to include fingerprint, polygraph examination, criminal history evaluation and physical agility test that fulfills the requirements of the CCBC Public Safety Academy. Candidates required to successfully completing a pre-hire, post-offer physical examination, including drug screening.
- Must possess the abilities and skills necessary to meet qualifications for appointment as a Maryland Special Police Officer.
- Position Specific Essential Duties
- Patrol by foot, vehicle, or bicycle college buildings and grounds in accordance with published patrol policies.
- Make arrests, use force, search and detain suspects in accordance with established authority and regulations
- Check for and report violations of traffic, fire, and safety regulations as well as all conditions that could result in loss or injury to college students or staff or loss/damage to college property.
- Conduct investigations of all crime incidents and accidents reported or observed on-view.
- Serve as the representative of the college in all matters relating to trespassing. Escort unauthorized persons from college property.† Notify local law enforcement agencies when assistance is required on campus.
- Direct traffic and enforce parking regulations on campus property and direct pedestrian traffic at crosswalks during special events. Assist visitors by providing directions and responding to inquiries; providing safety escorts upon request.
- Respond to hazardous material spills and provide initial assessment, containment, or evacuation services.
- Administer first aid and arrange for evacuation and/or transportation of sick or injured persons.
- Respond to all fire, panic and intrusion alarms and handle as appropriate.
- Respond promptly and handle appropriately all calls for service.
- Refer victims of crime to service agencies pursuant to policy.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the officer-in-charge (OIC), Corporal, Sergeant, Assistant Director or Director of the Department of Public Safety.
- Write incident reports and Student Incident Referrals in accordance with college and Public Safety policy.
- May be assigned special duties such as key control, community service activities and other tasks.
- Required to adhere to all college and Departmental policies.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*