Are you interested in working on engineering challenges associated with the reentry systems deployed as part of our Nation 's premiere strategic ballistic missile and long range strike hypersonic weapons systems?
Do you enjoy solving challenging problems with a diverse team of engineers?
If so, we are seeking an engineer to help us perform trade studies, performance assessments, and conceptual design studies of advanced strategic reentry vehicles. These reentry systems typically contains nuclear warheads and are an integral part of the Nation 's strategic deterrent. As a senior member of the team, you will help with mechanical design of these vehicles and participate in the integration and testing of various advanced reentry systems.
As an Aeromechanical Engineer ...
- You will conduct engineering analysis, design, and performance of missile systems and reentry bodies
- You will lead trade studies on various missile and reentry systems
- You will participate in test and evaluation activities to include test operations and pre/post flight evaluations
- You will collaborate with cross-discipline teams to advise government and industry partners on engineering challenges and design trades
- You will produce reports and presentations to communicate findings to team members and government partners
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a B.S. in aerospace, mechanical engineering or a related technical discipline
- Have knowledge and relevant experience with aerodynamic performance, flight dynamics, and/or subsystem performance, with a focus on mechanical design
- Have strong computer experience and programming skills, including MATLAB
- Are able to interact effectively with colleagues of different experience levels and backgrounds including industry and military personnel
- Are comfortable working in closed area facilities
- Have strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Are willing and able to travel occasionally to attend meetings or field tests at other government and contractor sites (approx. 30-35 days per year)
- Qualifications also include initiative, interest in skill development and the flexibility to accept assignments of varied scope and skill.
- Are able to obtain an interim Secret security clearance by your start date and are ultimately able to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a M.S. in aerospace, mechanical engineering or a related technical discipline
- Have 2+ years in a missile or reentry system engineering discipline such as modeling and simulation, aerodynamics, flight dynamics, or hypersonic reentry
- Have experience programming in Simulink or 6DOF simulation development
- Have design experience for related missile or reentry body subsystems
- Currently have an active Top Secret Clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.