Are you a talented scientist looking to achieve technical breakthroughs at the cutting edge of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML)?
Do you thrive in a collaborative research environment, working alongside an energetic, multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers?
Are you ready to help the US secure and maintain leadership in the development and fielding of AI/ML algorithms for non-kinetic defense systems?
If so, we 're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking an experienced Research Scientist to make substantial technical contributions in the pursuit of advanced research and innovative applications of AI/ML. You will be joining a team of engineers and scientists who are at the forefront of APL's mission to provide innovative solutions to critical challenges.
As a Machine Learing Analyst ...
- You will research, implement and analyze prototype algorithms for various machine learning tasks quantify and document the performance capabilities and limitations of algorithms for specific tasks, as well as provide metrics of robustness and confidence in specific approaches.
- You will interact with various data types, formats, and structures for algorithm training and testing perform any data cleaning, normalization, or manipulation as needed.
- You will create effective visualizations and documentation to explain complex topics to a variety of audiences.
You meet the minimum requirements for the job if you...
- Hold a PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Statistics, or a related field.
- Have a deep understanding of, and demonstrated expertise in, technical efforts related to AI/ML: deep learning, reinforcement learning, AI Explainability, or a closely related area.
- Have strong, effective communication skills - both verbal and written.
- Have experience developing AI/ML research prototypes in code, using one or more of scikitlearn, Tensorflow, PyTorch, or similar machine learning frameworks in Python.
Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You 'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have at least five years of relevant experience.
- Possess demonstrated research experience represented by publications in academic conferences and journals.
- Have a track record of proposing, developing, and successfully executing novel research initiatives in the application of AI/ML.
- Have a strong understanding of state-of-the-art techniques in neural networks and reinforcement learning.
- Have experience working with models and simulations using C, C++, Java or other suitable programming languages (in addition to Python).
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.