Are you an experienced systems architect who wants to help shape the architecture of the next generation submarine launched ballistic missile weapon system?
Do you love working with a diverse group of dedicated technical experts, applying cutting edge digital engineering capabilities in a collaborative teaming environment?
If so, we 're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Senior Systems Architect in the Weapon Systems Engineering Group in APL 's Force Projection Sector. We provide vital systems engineering and system development expertise to nationally important strategic deterrence capabilities for the Navy and Air Force. As a member of our team, you will lead the development of the architecture for the Navy's next generation submarine-launched ballistic missile weapon system. We are passionate about making critical contributions to these critically important programs, and you will be a key part of our success.
As a Senior Systems Architect, you will...
- Work with the government in leading the development of the Navy 's next generation submarine-launched ballistic missile weapon system architecture for future mission needs.
- Create and implement the architecture strategy in collaboration with the industry partners.
- Apply methodologies to identify, analyze, and synthesize the architecture, elements, and allocations, and ensure they satisfy the requirements.
- Collaborate with members of the team to understand, identify, and describe the relationships, interdependencies, and interfaces between the weapon system and external elements, as well as internally to the system.
- Identify and define critical attributes of the physical system elements, including design budgets (e.g., weight, reliability), and incorporate open system principles.
- Develop and analyze the architecture to ensure the system provides the functionality and performance required by warfighters.
- Lead system architecture activities required for successful sponsor reviews.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
- A Bachelor's degree in engineering, mathematics, physics or related technical field.
- Demonstrated system level thinking in the development and analysis of complex systems.
- Experience with architecting large, complex systems.
- Applied architecture development methodologies and use of system architecting tools.
- Experience with system architecting software, especially model based systems engineering tools like Magic Draw and DOORS
- Have systems engineering experience with large, complex systems, including architectural analysis.
- Strong communication and critical thinking skills.
- Shown the ability to interact effectively with and lead diverse, multidisciplinary teams.
- Willingness to learn digital engineering model-based tools.
- Are willing and able to travel periodically, including short duration visits to sponsor offices at the Washington Navy Yard and to supporting contractor and sponsor sites across the country.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
- Hold an active Secret security clearance and can ultimately obtain Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You 'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have...
- An advanced degree in systems engineering.
- Experience leading system architecture projects.
- Experience in systems architecting for military or systems.
- Experience with Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) and SysML
- Technical knowledge of Navy systems or Trident II Strategic Weapon System designs.
- An active Top Secret security clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.