Do you love using embedded systems experience to solve hard problems with real-world applications?
Are you passionate about working with collaborative and dedicated teams to move ideas to prototypes and solving technical challenges with real impact?
If so, we 're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are seeking an embedded design engineer to help us demonstrate new and creative signal processing concepts, continuously improving on the state of the art. You will join a creative and forward-thinking team that spans multiple engineering fields, from algorithms to custom hardware design. As a member of our team, you will combine embedded software engineering skills with signal processing methods to bring real solutions from concept to prototype.
As an Embedded Systems Engineer...
- Your primary responsibility will be developing software and firmware for embedded systems
- You will implement sophisticated signal processing algorithms for various types of communication and radio navigation signals
- You will take ownership of the design and integration of embedded systems with sensors
- You will perform system-level design of signal collection and tracking systems
- You will test and demonstrate systems in live field tests
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or other relevant technical field
- Have relevant experience working with embedded systems and embedded programming, to include Verilog, VHDL and/or C/C++
- Are comfortable with and have interest in embedded system design with FPGAs
- Have strong communication skills and effectively connect with technical team members and leaders
- Have good organizational skills and an ability to multi-task
- Are willing to lead small project teams of similarly qualified engineers
- Are willing and able to support travel of an average of three weeks per year
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have...
Have an M.S. in Electrical or Computer engineering
Have experience programming for Software Defined Radios (SDR)
Have a solid understanding of GPS and GNSS processing systems, Inertial Measurement Units and other navigation technologies
Have experience with high-speed FPGA design
Are well versed with digital signal processing (DSP) algorithms
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.