Are you passionate about tackling tough problems to provide real-world impact and drive the future?
Are you interested in applying psychology, human factors/cognitive engineering, or human performance measurement techniques to operational challenges in healthcare and other technical domains?
If so, we 're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL! We focus on engineering health and human-machine systems through the development and integration of cutting-edge technologies, data-driven processes, artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) principles, and cognitive and behavioral sciences. This work supports the design and operationalization of advanced and autonomous solutions for next generation healthcare and socio-technical systems. To achieve our goals, we are seeking human factors or cognitive systems engineers to help us apply theory and methodologies to our nation 's most critical challenges.
As a Human Systems Engineer, you will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team on projects related to national health, special operations, homeland protection and cyber security. You will collaborate with other scientists and diverse technical experts to conduct research and systems development while supporting evolutions in cognitive engineering and human-machine partnerships. Other responsibilities include:
- Analyzing, assessing, and making recommendations regarding human system design and development. This may include requirements analysis, task design/redesign, use case development, functional flow, and workload modeling.
- Collaborating with operators and other experts to capture performance feedback, teaming tactics, human requirements, technical recommendations, and field test results on a variety of complex systems.
- Leading and participating in multi-organization and multi-disciplinary working groups to review test results and coordinate analyses. This may involve the development of approaches to improve interactions between human operators and various systems.
- Supporting the development and review of systems engineering artifacts related to human factors, system usability, task analysis, vulnerability assessment, and human systems integration.
You meet our minimum qualifications if you:
- Possess a BS in psychology, human systems engineering, human systems integration, computer science, or another related field with 2+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Have demonstrated proficiency in requirements analysis and development, experimental design, human performance measurement, and system evaluation.
- Have excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, and have demonstrated success while both working both independently and within a team environment.
- Are able to travel occasionally to attend meetings with our government sponsors and operational stakeholders.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You 'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you:
- Possess a MS or PhD in psychology, human systems engineering, human systems integration, computer science, or a related technical field with 6+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Are experienced in operating or leading a human performance laboratory with physiological measurement capabilities.
- Have demonstrable experience with health, government, and/or military systems.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation 's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL 's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.