Are you passionate about Information Systems Security Management?
Do you love to develop high complex solutions?
Are you searching for meaningful work in system administration support of Highly Classified networks?
We are seeking a dedicated Systems Administrator to help us protect APL 's information technology infrastructure.
As a member of our team, you 'll contribute to IS Security Management and oversight of our Highly Classified information systems in support of Sponsor/Program needs. You 'll join an impressive team of technical specialists who are motivated by one common goal. We are passionate about supporting our Program needs. You 'll be an active contributor to the safeguarding of all APL 's Sponsor network systems. With your help, we will provide information assurance, system administration, and systems engineering for mainly Windows and some Linux-based systems in multiple highly classified facilities. You 'll independently identify and solve technical issues relating to Information Assurance system hardening (ensuring system availability, integrity, authentication and confidentiality).
As a Systems Administrator...
Your primary responsibility will be to provide system administration, and systems engineering for Linux-based systems in multiple highly classified facilities
You will configure, install, and maintain Linux computer systems in a stand-alone and networked environment
You will participate in developing complex solutions for LAN and WAN environments
You will lock down Linux computers in a mixed environment based upon classified security requirements
You will run user accounts for Linux systems, reset passwords, and perform annual computer recertification
Research, diagnose and resolve complex computer system software and hardware issues as they arise
Perform and analyze weekly security audits for nonstandard events
Implement backup solution and ensure a cohesive disaster recovery plan
Provide input to security relevant documentation such as security CONOPS, Security Controls Traceability Matrix 's, System Security Plan.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
- Possess a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, related field or equivalent professional experience.
- Hands-on experience administering/maintaining classified computer networks
- Have 2+ years experience in Linux systems administration
- Experience configuring Operating Systems, applications, and user settings.
- Experience manually building physical systems
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting layer 2 networks
- Experience applying STIGs to operating systems, applications and network peripherals.
- Experience troubleshooting operating systems and applications
- Excellent organizational and communication skills and the ability to effectively interact with managers and technical staff.
- Current SSBI required.
- Current DoD 8570 certification (Security+ or CISSP), or ability to obtain DoD 8570 certification within 6 months of employment required.
- Hold an active Top Secret security clearance and can ultimately obtain a TS/SCI level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You 'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have...
Demonstrable experience working in or directly supporting the Department of Defense or other U.S. government entities desired.
- Working experience with VMware or other virtualization software.
- Experience configuring managed switches.
- Experience with endpoint protection applications
- Some practical experience with programming / scripting languages.
- Working familiarity with Director of Central Intelligence Directives (DCID) or Intelligence Community Directives (ICD) security requirements.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.