Are you searching for meaningful work in developing cyber capabilities that enable the U.S. to prevail against the ever-evolving asymmetric threat?
Are you passionate about using innovation, emerging technologies, and research to solve system-level technical challenges?
Do you have experience with solving operational challenges at scale and applying systems engineering principles to mission-focused capabilities?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are seeking a motivated and creative technical professional to help us develop cybersecurity solutions for military systems. We work as a multi-disciplinary team of cybersecurity engineers, software engineers, and mathematicians to increase the cybersecurity posture for systems today, and build cyber-resilient systems for tomorrow. We are passionate about solving the operational needs of the U.S. government agencies and military organizations that we serve.
As a Senior Cybersecurity Engineer, you will...
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams to lead the creation of novel cyber concepts, capabilities, and approaches to military communications systems.
- Develop and apply a detailed understanding of computer, network, systems, and cybersecurity concepts to create, assess, and operationalize novel approaches to solving cyber system security challenges in operational environments.
- Analyze current and future communications systems to identify requirements to address capability, safety, or cybersecurity gaps.
- Provide detailed, prioritized recommendations to enhance system mission performance.
- Engage with the external community to promote APL 's involvement in the end-to-end lifecycle development of cyber mission operations capabilities and systems cybersecurity.
- Guide and mentor team members to develop future leaders and technical specialists.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a Bachelor's degree in Cybersecurity, Computer Science, Mathematics, or another related field.
- Have at least 5 years of relevant experience designing and developing cyber defensive solutions that inhibit or mitigate operational impact from cyber-attack given mission and/or performance constraints.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills, outstanding oral and written communication skills, good organizational skills, ability to both lead and work in teams.
- Are willing and able to occasionally travel, including both local and non-local travel.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Top Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess a Master's degree in Cybersecurity, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related field.
- Have at least ten years of demonstrated experience with military Combat Systems, Weapons and Stores Systems, C4I, Avionics, HM&E, and/or other related military operational technology, including embedded systems and supporting platform network and computing environments.
- Experience in conducting research, development, and testing of cyber capabilities.
- Have an active Top Secret Clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.