Working TitleLandscape Construction Technician
Anticipated Hiring Range$39,900 - $44,896
Work ScheduleMonday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; Some overtime and call back time
Job LocationRaleigh, NC
DepartmentLandscape Construction Services
About the Department
The Grounds and Building Services unit provides campus wide programs and services and support for the University’s 2000+ acres of campus landscape, 14.6 million square feet of buildings and the 33,000 students and 7500 faculty and staff that make up the campus population. These programs and services include landscape construction and maintenance, comprehensive waste and recycling programs and services and management of the University’s auto shop and motor fleet. Revenue supported programs and services are provided to Transportation, Housing, Dining, Athletics, Campus Recreation and individual colleges and departments.
Essential Job Duties
The primary purpose of this position is to perform a variety of masonry and tile maintenance and repair tasks. Work consists of, but is not limited to, structural layup masonry, project evaluation, preparation of the bill of materials, maintenance and repair of brick and block masonry, building and repairing retaining walls, stairs and installing door jambs. Other tasks will involve caulking windows, controlling expansion joints and waterproofing above and below grade walls.
The position will also act as a crew leader, and supervise the work of journeymen and helpers on a regular basis. Position will serve as an equipment operator for the LCS, General, and Brick Shops. Will operate and/or drive a variety of trucks and equipment necessary to complete work. Vehicles/equipment used will consist of standard trucks, skid steers, mini stand up skid steers, excavators, back hoes, and trenchers. Perform equipment inspections and complete inspections forms. Provide verbal re ports or feedback regarding operation and maintenance of equipment.
Position serves in a critical role and employee must work during adverse weather conditions and may be required to work even if the University is closed to normal operations.
This position may build/repair tile, stone work, arches, retaining walls, brick or block, walls, steps, manholes, and catch basins, demolition of walls for door openings, etc., work from sketches and blueprints as well as written and verbal orders. Form, pour and finish concrete.
High school diploma or equivalency; or demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work.
Optional Guidelines: Experience in the Trade(s) areas related to the area of assignment may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
Other Required Qualifications
- Must be able to effectively communicate verbally with supervisors and the general public and understand verbal and written instructions and other communications regarding work assignments and other matters.
- Position serves in a critical role and employee must work during adverse weather conditions and may be required to work even if the University is closed to normal operations
- Experience in maintenance and repair of tile, brick and block masonry and waterproofing foundations.
- Experience in excavation site work,. grading. trenching, backfilling, as well as the ability to read & establish with proper excavation machinery points from site plans.
- Must be able to use hand tools, air tools and hydraulic jacks necessary to perform repairs and maintenance.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds occasionally, with or without reasonable accommodations.
- High school diploma or equivalency
- Prefer 3-5 years experience in maintenance and repair of tile, brick and block masonry and waterproofing foundations.
- Prefer 2 years of experience in heavy equipment operation & maintenance; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Required License or Certification
- Must have a valid driver’s license, must be able to obtain a valid NC driver’s license within 60 days of hire and must be maintained.
- North Carolina CDL driver’s license Class B preferred, and will be required within 6 months of hire and must be maintained.
- Certifications must be maintained while employed at NCSU.
Valid NC Driver's License requiredYes
Commercial Driver's License Required?Yes
Job Open Date05/06/2022
Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)06/22/2022
Notice to Applicants
Please include all relevant employment history on your application. Any employment history you mention in the supplemental questions or resume, MUST be listed in your employment history on your application.
Position Classification Band TitleFacility Maintenance Technician – Building Trades
Position Classification Band LevelJourney
Position Classification Salary Range$31,200 - $66,138
Salary Grade Equivalency59
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)1.00
Appointment12 Month Recurring
Mandatory Designation - Adverse WeatherMandatory - Adverse Weather
Mandatory Designation - Emergency EventsOther - Grounds & Building Services
Time Limited PositionNo
Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?No
Department Id447401 - Landscape Construction Services
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.