This position provides leadership and support for all administrative action and creative endeavors in the Arts Center, including the Jack B. Kussmaul (JBK) Theater and the Black Box Theater. Under the supervision of the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs/Dean of Liberal Arts, the Arts Center Director is responsible for day-to-day activities and operations, staff supervision, internal and external programming, advocacy, outreach, and development. This position protects the Arts Center, an important College asset, and initiates, prepares, and establishes procedural guidelines related to the use of the complex to support the cultural and artistic development of Frederick Community College academic programs and the community. The Arts Center Director must use varying styles and approaches that reflect an understanding and acceptance of the role of culture in a diverse, multicultural workplace.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following are the functions essential to performing this job:
1. Strategize, design, formulate, implement, manage, direct, market, and lead all administrative action and creative endeavors in the Frederick Community College Arts Center.
2. Acts as designee for the Arts Center with all academic programs and departments in Academic Affairs, Continuing Education, and Workforce Development.
3. Maintain a working knowledge and understanding of technical theater systems
4. Collaborates with Operations Team to ensure all aspects of the Arts Center are in safe, working order. Plans and schedules safety inspections.
5. Recommends, coordinates, and attends meetings for all renovations to the JBK Theater and Blackbox Theater.
6. Supervises all of the permanent staff positions related to the JBK Theater and Black Box Theater, including the Senior Technician.
7. Supervises all PTVS staff including front of house staff such as box office cashiers, house managers, ushers, and all staff for the production and technical components of the JBK Theater and Black Box Theater, including technical assistants and production assistants.
8. Serves as primary point of contact for and reviewer of outside proposals for use of JBK Theater and Black Box Theater. Conducts all tours, staffing, and ticket reservation arrangements.
9. Reviews and approves negotiations for all rental rehearsals, performances, and events.
10. Ensures the appropriate handling of all financial receipts for both rentals and ticketed internal events.
11. Submits financial and operational reports, prepares internal reports as requested and required by the Finance office, and cooperates with official auditors.
12. Oversees all aspects of running guest artist events, including the negotiation of all contracts, contract rider, and technical rider addendums for submission to College counsel for approval and signature.
13. Assists with the budget development and submission of operational reports for Arts Center operations.
14. Maintain current knowledge of relevant safety protocols, including necessary trainings and certifications.
15. Assists with College convocations, commencement, and other special events.
16. Assumes other duties as assigned.