Working TitleGeneral Hospital Veterinary Technician
Anticipated Hiring Range$34,000 - $36,000
Work ScheduleFriday - Monday, 7:00am - 5:30pm
Job LocationRaleigh NC
DepartmentCollege of Veterinary Medicine Teaching Hospital
About the Department
The NC State Veterinary Hospital (VH), established in 1983, is one of the highest rated veterinary academic medical centers in the country, serving communities throughout North Carolina as well as many other states. The hospital staffs over twenty clinical services with board certified specialists that are nationally and even internationally renowned, ensuring the VH is on the cutting edge of veterinary medicine. Patients benefit from the combined expertise of multiple specialists utilizing a team approach to patient health care. Each year, nearly 35,000 patients are treated in the VH. The VH provides compassionate care, state of the art specialty health care, expert clinical instruction for 4th year veterinary students from College of Veterinary Medicine, and ongoing investigation of innovative techniques and procedures to further advance the field of veterinary medicine.
The college is committed to practicing inclusivity, making community a priority and promoting innovation. We embrace effective leadership and we champion personal and professional growth.
Essential Job Duties
This position provides technical assistance to the General Hospital Department (GH) in the Randall B. Terry Companion Animal Medical Center (TC). This individual will act as the patient care technician for the department, providing unique internal customer service, technical assistance, data collection, and patient care. The person hired into this position will interact with internal services and their respective staff, clinicians and students, as well as private owners on visitations. This person will be the primary point of contact for the patient admitting into the unit for hospitalization and communicating with students, staff and clinicians to receive the most up to date information regarding the presenting problem, diagnostics being performed as well as projected plan of care for the animal. Performs various technical procedures including; post-operative support and monitoring, Intravenous catheter placement for both short and long term vein access, venipuncture, IV injections, wound management, drug administration (IV, Oral, Subcutaneous), bandage care, chemotherapy administration and various other routine diagnostic testing.
- Manages all internal billing for individual patients being housed in GH and the associated charges with hospitalization, technical procedures and treatments performed.
- Provides excellent patient care by applying full knowledge of anatomy, physiology, disease processes, pharmacology, specialized equipment usage, and specialized drug administration. Completes specialized treatments in an accurately and timely fashion. Works proactively to keep patients clean and comfortable.
- Provides extensive post-operative monitoring, support and management.
- Responsible for supervising, coaching, teaching, orienting and evaluating all senior veterinary students as well as post-doctoral interns and residents regarding excellent patient care and technical procedures.
- Records a variety of data relating to patient care and treatments, and service related communications. Provides quick and accurate information regarding each patient, acting as the liaison between service and other departmental technicians. Is proficient in entering data into electronic medical record.
- Maintains a clean working environment to ensure Infectious Disease standards are followed and infection is not spread. Handles all medical/biological and infectious waste appropriately. Follows all radiation safety, OSHA, and Environmental Health and Safety standards.
- Keeps all necessary equipment in clean and working order and has all necessary and appropriate stocked supplies available for procedures and daily patient husbandry.
- Applies full knowledge of veterinary medicine to perform procedures and tests (administers intravenous, inhalant and oral medicines, catheterizations, etc) in support of patient care.
- Demonstrates knowledge of safe restraint, blood collection and other diagnostic procedures.
- Applies full knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
- Applies full knowledge and skills to operate, adjust and calibrate standard instrumentation and equipment as needed (Doppler, ECG, etc).
- Utilizes full knowledge of infection control procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
Completion of an accredited training program in the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Some positions may require additional Training, Certifications, or Licensure.
Other Required Qualifications
- Previous experience as an assistant in a canine/feline veterinary setting.
- Ability to work with or around sick animals, potentially hazardous materials, cleaning chemicals, gas anesthetics, zoonotic diseases, and unpleasant odors.
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively at all times and maintain professionalism in emotionally charged / challenging situations.
- Ability to provide high quality customer service.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work beyond scheduled work hours when needed.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team and be an active participant in problem-solving and team advancement.
- Ability to work effectively with computers and electronics.
- Ability to work independently and practice good judgment to ensure high-quality care for all patients and request assistance when needed.
- A desire to teach 4th-year veterinary students.
- Licensed/Registered/Certified by any state
- Graduation from an AVMA fully accredited two- or four-year Veterinary Technician program.
- At least 2 years of experience as a veterinary technician in a clinical setting; preferably at a teaching hospital.
Required License or Certification
Valid NC Driver's License requiredNo
Commercial Driver's License Required?No
Job Open Date08/10/2021
Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)04/07/2022
Notice to Applicants
REPOST – This position is being reposted. Previous applicants DO NOT need to reapply.
In addition to a fully completed application please submit the contact information for at least 3 professional references. You may also submit an optional cover letter and resume.
If you upload a resume, please make sure that the work history listed on your application is identical to the work history listed on your resume.
Position Classification Band TitleMedical Support Technician
Position Classification Band LevelJourney
Position Classification Salary Range$31,200 - $61,687
Salary Grade Equivalency65
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)1.00
Appointment12 Month Recurring
Mandatory Designation - Adverse WeatherMandatory - Adverse Weather
Mandatory Designation - Emergency EventsMandatory - Medical Emergencies
Time Limited PositionNo
Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?No
Department Id192001 - CVM Teaching Hospital
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or email@example.com. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.