Chief of Staff
The Business Network for Offshore Wind (The Network) is a nonprofit, educational organization with a mission to develop the offshore wind renewable energy industry and its supply chain. The Network partners with industry and government to build an innovative supply chain that will create and sustain jobs, benefiting local economies and ensuring a cost-effective clean energy portfolio. We advance this through collaboration, education, and innovation, bringing together global developers, policymakers, academia, and leading experts to grow this new and vital offshore wind industry that provides a practical solution to climate change and creates well-paying jobs.
The Business Network for Offshore Wind (the Network) is hiring a Chief of Staff (COS). The primary purpose of this position is to make time management, information, and decision-making more effective for the President/CEO. The COS will strategically oversee the President/CEO’s calendar and work with administrative staff in the Executive Office to maximize meeting effectiveness with appropriate preparation, realistic objectives, and clear action items. This may involve querying and working with stakeholders, guiding others in their preparation for their interactions with the President/CEO, preparing agendas or briefing materials, and monitoring the progress and achievement of action items.
The COS will shadow the President/CEO and assist her daily. This position requires the ability to work long hours and be available at nights and weekends as well as travel frequently. The ideal candidate possesses solid project management skills, is well-organized, shows attention to detail, can work well under pressure, and follows up relentlessly to ensure the right results. The ideal candidate should have a government affairs background and demonstrate an interest in clean energy. This position will require you to work in the Network’s Baltimore MD office with the President & CEO daily.
POSITION FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Relationships and Time Management
- Act as the President/ CEO's "right-hand” person and as a “barometer” having a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the President/CEO updated. Anticipate her needs in advance of meetings, conferences, etc.
- Provides a “gatekeeper” role, providing a bridge for smooth communication between CEO and staff
- Accompany the President/ CEO to meetings, oversee meeting prep, and track meeting takeaways and next steps.
- Ensure the President/ CEO is organized, informed, prepared, and responsive by supporting her with background research, briefing memos, talking points, and the preparation of presentations,
- Oversees & manages the Presidents/CEO’s internal facing email account; distributes email to staff for follow-up flag email of importance to President/CEO
- Write draft communications for review, including messages from the President/CEO to the all-team, support grant writing projects, and collaborate with communications on press releases, thought leadership, and other written communication
- Assume day-to-day responsibility for assigned projects and tasks
- Track President/CEO workflow and priorities through strategic handling of incoming requests following up on various tasks to ensure deadlines are being met,
- Develop and track a daily to-do list to help triage priorities for the next day
- Be responsive to emails/texts/phone calls, with contact outside normal business hours
- Conserve President/CEO’s time by reading, researching, collecting, and analyzing information as needed, in advance
- Update Salesforce with leads and contacts that help actively pursue business development efforts for all Network programs, services, products, and events.
Public Profile/Speaking Engagements
- Oversees the President/CEO’s local, national, and international speaking schedule
- Lead bi-monthly meetings with members of senior staff on internal and external speaking engagements to determine where to leverage the President/CEO’s voice and brand
- Coordinate communication strategies to build the President/CEO’s public profile (blogs, twitter)
- Ensure President/CEO is prepared for speaking engagements and work with the policy team to develop presentations and talking points
- Collaborates with Network staff in coordinating the President/CEO’s outreach activities.
- Follow up on contacts made by the CEO to cultivate ongoing relationships.
- Collaborate closely with the VP of Public Affairs, Sr. VP of Business Development, and VP for Strategic Communications to assist with President/CEO’s external communication (speaking engagements, press, members, and prospective members) to build her public profile and deepen engagement with members and high-level audiences
- Work with the policy team to develop presentations and talking points for speaking engagements
- Collaborate with development, communications, and events teams to ensure needs are met during multi-team events
Calendar & Travel Management
- Manage the President/CEO’s calendar and provide her with a daily briefing every morning to ensure she understands her responsibilities for the day and prepare her with a detailed agenda
- Provide a nightly packet of materials needed for the next day’s meetings
- Work effectively with the President/CEO to keep her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, anticipating current and future issues and challenges while following up appropriately.
- Coordinate travel with Senior Support Assistant and ensure President/CEO arrives to scheduled events, brief her prior to meetings and communicate follow-up tasks to Senior Staff
- Review logistics memos for all trips (prepared by Assistant)
- Draft letters, emails, reports, and other correspondence on behalf of President/CEO
- Act as the communication arm for the President/CEO with other executives in the organization, staff, clients, or major stakeholders, ensuring outcomes and action steps are clearly communicated and projects stay on track
- Complete projects by assigning work to appropriate staff, including the Executive Team, on behalf of the President/CEO
- Using the project management tool (Asana) document and communicating decisions and action items from meetings and ensure follow-up and closure of action items
- Receive staff updates and communicate status reports on all projects and programs to the President/CEO; identify issues that may impact projects and provide proactive solutions to ensure projects are completed successfully
- Tracks Executive Office team action items, meeting notes, and files.
- Schedules President/CEO’s policy briefings from all working group meetings and regular updates from different program areas
- Build and run cadence for leadership meetings, board meetings, and leadership offsites, including structuring and helping to deliver company-wide communication
Board of Director Responsibilities
- Serve as a liaison between the board and CEO
- Working with the President/CEO and senior leadership to compile the Board of Director’s meeting packet on a quarterly basis including setting production timelines and managing the development, compilation, and distribution of agenda and presentation materials
- Record meeting minutes on behalf of the Board Secretary and draft official meetings notes maintain a record of notes and follow-up items
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all board of directors
- Adhere to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding board and board committee members, including advance distribution of materials before meetings in electronic/paper format
- Assist with onboarding new Board Members and with offboarding departing Members
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of relevant experience, including 3+ years of relevant experience supporting C-level executive(s), government affairs, political background preferred
- Ability to work with a strong personality with a founder mentality
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills; ability to work with diverse constituencies
- Ability to create effective tracking and management systems, follow up on open issues and carry tasks through to successful completion
- Expertise in prioritization of simultaneous assignments while adapting to changing deadlines, priorities, and workflow with success and accuracy
- Strong judgment and ability to manage sensitive and confidential information and documents with discretion and maturity
- Extraordinary attention to detail and organizational skills
- Excellent management and communication (written and oral) skills to keep staff informed and express appreciation
- High EQ, interpersonal and diplomacy skills
- Ability to combine strategic thinking with operational follow-through
- Demonstrated ability to work individually and collaboratively
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure with professionalism
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Asana and Adobe Acrobat
- Experience Salesforce, desirable
- Flexibility and tolerance for ambiguity, willingness to handle complex and mundane matters
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally 60 percent of the time
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION:
The salary range for this position is commensurable with experience. For full-time, benefit eligible employees, the Network offers an excellent range of benefits including:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental and Vision Benefits
- Employee Life Insurance
- Employee Short- & Long-Term Disability
- Paid Vacation
- Generous paid leave
- 401K Plan
- Work is in an office environment
The Business Network for Offshore Wind provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Business Network for Offshore Wind complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we employ staff. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training