Anticipated Hiring Range
$33,000 - $35,000
40 hours per week; work hours may vary based on business needs; work schedule may include nights, weekends and holidays. May be required to work some overtime.
NC State Dining
About the Department
NC State was named a great place to work in the 2022 Forbes annual survey as the best large employer in North Carolina. NC State embodies a culture that values collaboration, creativity, innovation, diversity, and teamwork. We provide a team-oriented culture, work/life balance, and work that makes a difference in our community, the state, and beyond. We also offer great benefits for SHRA permanent positions working more than 30 hours a week, including healthcare, vacation, holiday and sick leave, retirement and more. You can even join the NC State Wellness and Recreation Center and receive discounted meals on campus.
Campus Enterprises is NC State University’s division of retail and hospitality organizations — NC State Dining, NC State Stores, Lonnie Poole Golf Course, NC State Student Centers (Witherspoon and Talley), and the One Card Office. Each unit shares a common goal: deliver quality and efficient services with dedicated financial support for student activity and scholarships.
NC State Dining provides campus wide food services to students, staff, and faculty on the North Carolina State University Campus. NC State Dining operates 11 cafes, 3 food courts and 4 dining halls, 5 convenience stores, vending, a nutritional counseling service, and a catering department. The department employs approximately 1000 temporary and student employees and approximately 150 permanent EHRA and SHRA employees.
For more information about why you should consider working for Campus Enterprises at NC State, visit our website at https://campusenterprises.ncsu.edu/dept/hr/opportunities/permanent-opportunities/
At NC State, we’re doing everything we can to protect the Pack as we respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. We have been following the Community Standards and will continue to do so. More information can be found at the Protect the Pack website at https://www.ncsu.edu/coronavirus/
Essential Job Duties
Have you ever thought about a food service career in college dining? Now is an excellent opportunity for individuals to expand their food service career and be part of a team that drives successful business operations and continues a proud tradition of being an award winning campus dining program.
We are hiring for multiple positions at On the Oval Food Court and Talley Student Union Retail locations.
This position serves as a cook at an NC State Dining unit and will assign tasks and direct efforts of other food service technicians, temporary and student employees.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Execute the production of recipes required to fulfill the menu.
- Requisition products needed to produce recipes.
- Help check in, store, and move food supplies prior to and during production.
- Work with front of house staff to serve food and coordinate the flow of food from production to customers.
- Keep track of food levels and orders during meal time to ensure timely service.
- Enter necessary data information into C-Bord food production system, if necessary, in the absence of a supervising chef.
- Perform necessary cleaning of utensils, workplace, tables, shelves, and equipment and communicate cleaning assignments to other back of house employees.
- Ensure food prep and staff are ready for service, daily food preparation list are completed, and proper rotation of products.
- Model the Division’s mission and values, introduce the Division’s mission and values to the employees, and foster a positive, cohesive workplace and congeniality among co-workers.
- Understand the goals and culture of the organization, and understand how employees’ work activities, teamwork, and customer service impact clients. Work with your supervisor and colleagues to understand these goals and the culture.
- Adhere to all University policies, procedures, and regulations, and Division standard operating practices and protocols.
- Due to operational needs of the NC State Dining department, an employee may be assigned to work in any NC State Dining department including, but not limited to, catering and special events.
- Perform other duties as assigned to ensure NC State Dining business needs are met.
Demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work.
Some positions may require certification by the Department of Correction.
Other Required Qualifications
- Knowledge of equipment, cooking methods, measurements, and food safety. Understand and execute proper cooking techniques (roast, grill, fry, steam and boil food items according to a recipe).
- Able to read, write, and do mathematical problem solving (add, subtract, multiply, divide, percentages and fractions).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate with customers, peers and supervisors; and professionally communicate with multiple levels of employees within the University.
- Follow written and verbal instructions.
- Provide outstanding customer service, including the ability to remain professional and respectful under pressure when dealing with difficult situations, to team and customers.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellence in completing all tasks and performance goals.
- Requires bending, twisting, pulling and pushing. Because of the nature of food service operations and working in a kitchen, you must be able to work in extremely hot and cold conditions.
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds above head and up to 60 pounds on rare occasions, with or without reasonable accommodation
- Follow all safety procedures and protocols; incumbent will routinely handle sharp items such as knives and slicer blades as well as be around hot food items, food pans, ovens, fryers, steam tables, grills, etc.
- Ability to use or learn to use email.
- Accredited culinary program certificate or associate degree in culinary arts
- 2-3 years of culinary or cooking experience
- One year experience in a restaurant environment
- Previous supervisory experience
- Proficient in the use of computers and have the ability to learn new software programs
- Allergen training
Required License or Certification
- ServSafe certification or the ability to obtain within 90 days of employment.
- Certification must be maintained as a condition of employment.
Valid NC Driver's License required
Commercial Driver's License Required?
Job Open Date
Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)
If you submit a resume, please make sure that the work history listed on your application is identical to the work history listed on your resume. Include ALL relevant employment in the Work History section of the application.
Position Classification Band Title
Food Services Technician
Position Classification Band Level
Position Classification Salary Range
$31,200 - $38,504
Salary Grade Equivalency
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)
12 Month Recurring
Mandatory Designation - Adverse Weather
Mandatory - Adverse Weather
Mandatory Designation - Emergency Events
Mandatory - Fire/Explosions, Mandatory - Medical Emergencies, Mandatory - Hazardous Material Incidents, Mandatory - Transportation Accidents, Mandatory - Evacuations/Natural Hazards, Mandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure Failure, Mandatory - Threats of Violence/Terrorism/Interpersonal Emergencies
Time Limited Position
Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?
471501 - Dining and Catering Operations
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or email@example.com. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.