JOB LOCATION: New York, NY / Some work may be carried out remotely, but some will require in-person attendance at Hunger Free America’s Manhattan headquarters and at on-site events throughout New York City.
Hunger Free America is seeking a dynamic, growing, and highly effective nonpartisan nonprofit organization or political campaign development/ fundraising professional with a minimum of four years of development/fundraising experience and a proven track record of successfully raising funds. Direct experience in grant writing, grant management, donor solicitation, and donor relations is strongly preferred. This is a full-time, exempt position that reports to the CEO and Chief of Staff.
Working closely with the CEO, the Director of Development will:
- Design and implement all development and fundraising activities of the organization to increase donations from both unrestricted and restricted sources. Manage all institutional and individual fundraising including raising funds from government agencies, foundations, corporations, small and medium donors, major gifts, direct mail and online donations, and events.
- Directly manage the work of a Development Associate and an AmeriCorps VISTA.
- Identify, research, write, pitch, and submit foundation, corporate, and government funding proposals. Develop and submit financial and programmatic progress reports to funders.
- Collaborate with the Strategic Volunteerism department to integrate strategic volunteerism with fundraising, including designing innovative events that can improve volunteer-donor engagement and can increase funding from corporate volunteer programs.
- Collaborate with the Communications team to increase our social marketing partnerships with companies and brands, and online promotional materials for the organization that relate to fundraising.
- Work with the CEO and Chief of Staff to engage members of the Board of Directors with fundraising.
- Grow the Young Professionals Council to raise money and develop the leadership pipeline.
QUALITIES/QUALIFICATIONS: Ideal candidates will have as many as possible:
- Bachelor’s degree required and a minimum of four years of relevant professional experience. A related graduate or professional degree is a plus.
- Successful fundraising track record and comfort and skill in asking individuals, organizations, and institutions for money.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills for a variety of audiences. Very strong writer is required. Grant writing experience and/or managing government and/or foundation grants is a plus.
- Proven ability to collaborate professionally and effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team.
- A demonstrated commitment to, and passion about, Hunger Free America’s mission to end hunger nationwide. Specific knowledge of hunger and poverty issues are a plus.
- Stellar organizational multi-tasking skills and an ability to meet tight deadlines without fail.
- Experience with CRM/donor management software. Familiarity with Salesforce and/or crowdfunding software is a plus.
- An outgoing, engaging personality.
Essential Physical Demands: The person in this position:
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 including a booster shot at the recommended time.
- Must be able to frequently remain in a stationary position Occasionally moves about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, other offices, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery such as a calculator, copy machine and computer printer.
- Occasionally travels around New York City and possibly outside of NYC to attend meetings, conferences, and other organizational events.
- Frequently communicates with staff, donors, volunteers, and clients and must be able to exchange accurate information in these interactions.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- This is a full-time, 35-hour per week position, with some in-person work required in our HQ in New York City.
- Starting annual salary range is $70,000 to $85,000 based on experience.
- Hunger Free America offers significant benefits to full-time employees, including a strong health insurance plan which includes fully paid employee premiums and a health reimbursement account.
- Employees receive generous vacation, holiday, and sick time.
HOW TO APPLY:
- To apply, please send a resume and cover letter explaining your qualifications for this specific position to email@example.com. Please include “Director of Development” in the subject line. Applications not containing both a resume and a cover letter will not be reviewed.
- The position is open until filled with the right person.
- Hunger Free America is an equal opportunity employer. People of diverse races, sexual orientations, ages, faiths, economic and social backgrounds, genders, physical abilities, and national origins are very strongly encouraged to apply