Location: Hybrid (at least 2 days required in Center City office)
Transforming Philadelphia through the power of film.
As the producer of the Philadelphia Film Festival and creative force behind the Philadelphia Film Center and PFS Bourse Theater, the Philadelphia Film Society (PFS) raises awareness of film as an important art form in Philadelphia and serves as a vital piece of the city’s arts and culture community.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of Development will be responsible for all fundraising and development activities with a focus on establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow annual revenue through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support. In addition, the Director of Development will oversee the Institutional Giving Manager, Individual Giving Manager, and Membership Manager and work closely with the board of directors as they take on a more active fundraising role.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and implement an annual development plan and budget to support short and long-term fundraising strategies, goals, and action plans
- Identify, cultivate, and manage a robust individual giving prospect list to develop and expand funding relationships, ensure effective cultivation strategies and solicitation plans to enhance PFS’ contributed revenue
- Build and maintain strategic partnerships with current and prospective institutional donors including corporations, foundations, charitable trusts, and other institutional entities
- Prepare grant requests and requisite budgets as required
- Create cultivation opportunities for PFS members and donors throughout the year via screenings and other activities for engagement
- Contribute to the planning and execution of events to ensure an exceptional experience with a focus on cultivation and stewardship
- Ensure that accurate and complete records of donor communications are kept
- Provide leadership, coaching, and active hands-on management for the development team to increase their capabilities and effectiveness
- Represent PFS at external events and function as required and develop relationships with partners to support organizational positioning
- Design coordinated marketing strategies for development presence in all communications, creating and implementing a communication and promotional plan for increased donor engagement
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position PFS ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Ability to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others; is adept at creating a positive, collaborative and entrepreneurial work environment
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Use MS Office Suite, donor research platforms (i.e. Wealth Engine, Lexus Nexus), and database management software (Salesforce) proficiently
- Maintains professional growth and development through continuing education, including participation in conferences, workshops, and professional affiliations
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
- At least five years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources and overseeing a comprehensive strategic fundraising program to advance an organization's mission and goals
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization, and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Experience having worked with a high-performance, collaborative, constructive peer group
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for PFS's mission
- Experience and familiarity with Philadelphia and the cultural community a plus
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience. The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and objectives required of employees assigned to this job, nor is it to be interpreted as a contract for employment. PFS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, hiring, promotions, and other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment shall be maintained in a manner that does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or military status, or in violation of any applicable Federal, state or local legislation.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $80,000.00 - $90,000.00 per year
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
All staff must be vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19.
Work Location: One location