Chief Development Officer
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) will join a new leadership team leading business transformation across Development. The CDO leads the entire development operations function and serves as an integral member of the executive leadership team. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the CDO is responsible for the overall strategic direction and operational responsibility of the American Diabetes Association development team and oversees and deploys the strategies and best practices to ensure successful mission execution, exponential financial growth and volunteer development. The CDO will establish the vision, strategic focus, priorities, and performance accountabilities for the ADA’s Development Operation.
An opportunity exists for the CDO to align ADA’s mission, vison and values to deliver the financial objectives of our strategic plan, while accelerating the company’s growth and expansion.
The CDO will play an integral role in fostering a culture of excellence and accountability amongst the field operations team. This individual will cultivate revenue streams and avenues for fundraising, while ensuring stability and transformative change for the development. . (S)he will be responsible for tracking revenue and fundraising trends while using data analytics to identify reoccurring revenue streams to fund ADA’s investment in research, products and services for people living with diabetes.
The key imperatives of the CDO are to:
Demonstrate Leadership and Effective Management
- Establish the vision for Development and develop a business plan in alignment with the national strategic plan
- Conduct ongoing Development evaluation, and consistent quality of programs, fundraising finance management, communications, and business process; develop and recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve strategic priorities
- Ensure collaboration across the Development and organization to identify and maximize opportunities
- Promote the development of high performing Community Leadership Boards through the application of Targeted Recruitment Process, an ongoing process of identifying, recruiting and activating an influential, financially strong and diverse volunteer leadership base to champion the success of the Association
- Serve as a role model for the Association’s culture
- Align Develop and Operations staff resources to optimize performance and manage to a sales/relationship development process
Development & Stewardship
- Translate Develop Operations business plan to strategies and tactics to achieve and exceed revenue targets in Development
- Drive diversification of revenue streams that include special events, corporate partnerships, tranformatianal programs, foundations, retail campaigns, individual/major gifts, clubs, and organizations
- Design and drive stewardship strategies to increase donor engagement and retention
- Ensure best practices and innovative ideas are applied across Development to optimize special events fundraising, develop, manage, and steward high level Regional relationships (corporate, individual or foundations) to maximize the Association’s visibility, impact, and financial resources
- Capitalize on Large and Regional Corporate relationships across all territories to grow current business opportunities and garner new ones
Planning & New Business
- Use cross departmental/divisional collaboration to establish program strategies that will position the Association as a leader in communities and yield outcomes
- Establish innovation hubs across Development Operations to identify and vet new fundraising and business development opportunities to ensure success and serve as model for regional and national replication
- Develop budget, manage P&L, and forecast financial performance accurately
- Drive strategy and team development to significantly increase revenue for the organization by building the structure, systems, processes and key metrics to deliver financial development goals.
- Meet with Community Leadership Boards (CLB)s, corporations, foundations, corporate partners/prospects, donors and prospective donors to cultivate and leverage relationships that yield financial contributions to further ADA’s efforts in helping people with diabetes thrive.
- Ensure accountability and compliance standards for funding sources through exceptional execution to ensure continuous support of the ADA’s mission.
- Ensure collaboration across divisions to deliver on fundraising efforts sourced through grants, corporate sponsorships, gift and donations.
- Ensure reoccurring revenue streams by responding to major donor inquiries, keeping them apprised of recent ADA campaigns and showing them the results, their financial contributions have made possible.
- Develop management team in the key areas of revenue generation, cultivating strategic partnerships, driving sales, identifying unconventional revenue streams and execution of fundraising events.
In order to accomplish these imperatives, the CDO must possess the ability to:
- Understand the Strategic Organizational goals and identify partnership
opportunities to raise awareness of the ADA and garner financial support to further the organization’s mission.
- Use data analytics to understand trends, identify best practices, as well as and recognize gaps in revenue generation to adapt fundraising strategy approach to meet organizational goals.
- High degree of business acumen and sales knowledge to track Field Operations deliverables and identify opportunities to deliver greater value for corporate partners, to increase revenue.
The successful CDO candidate will balance strategic revenue development and leadership with a “hands on” approach. This individual will have significant experience and a proven track record of transforming field operations from delivering traditional fundraising events and programs into a high performing team that executes impactful initiatives to drive revenue and create reoccurring revenue streams. The CDO will be a strong communicator and collaborator who inspires confidence and empowers others to achieve financial results, by actively coaching and developing the field leaders. As part of the executive leadership team, the CDO must have a compelling internal and external presence and be influential in creating organizational alignment to execute ADA’s strategy and generate revenue streams.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Exceptional knowledge of fundraising efforts and development strategies, social media, campaigning, public relations and how to identify sources of revenue through strategic partnerships.
- Verifiable track record of closing large opportunites
- Knowledge of the healthcare landscap(Payors,Pharma, Biotech, Medical Device, Healthcare Provider, Health Technology, Health Policy, etc.)
- Strategic thinking and leadership skills to drive business results and contribute as an integral member of the Executive Committee
- Capability in transforming sales strategy into actionable plans that motivate and inspire the field team, foster organizational alignment and build commitment to achieve financial results.
- Expertise in using data to make informed business decisions and develop strategies for revenue generation.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work with and influence potential donors, as well as internal stakeholders to drive alignment amongst competing interests.
- Strong business knowledge and ability to inspire trust when representing ADA before a variety of audiences at fundraising events, presentation, to potential corporate partners and donors and in meeting with members of the board.
- The business maturity to manage calmly through disruptive challenges, removing obstacles for employees to deliver results, while maintaining team cohesiveness.
- An engaging, approachable, straight forward, optimistic and performance driven leader who is passionate about people development, so that we can fund our mission and
- accelerate ADA’s growth and expansion.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree is required. A Master’s degree or certification in nonprofit
management, business, consumer economics, business administration, sales, is
preferred, with a preference for an MBA.
- Must have ten years of senior level fundraising experience with a proven track record of quantizable accomplishments.
- Senior level experience in leading a large remote teams
- Must be able to travel across the United States to meet the demands of this job functon
Compensation range: Based upon expereince
You will be eligible for the following standard ADA benefits:
- Health, Dental, and Vision coverage for employees, as well as coverage for eligible dependents
- Flexible Spending Accounts and Health Savingss Account
- Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance and AD&D coverage
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer match
- Paid vacation, personal and sick leave
- 9 annual paid holidays
Take Your Career On A Mission
More than 122 million Americans have diabetes or prediabetes and are striving to manage their lives while living with the disease. Every day more than 4,000 people are newly diagnosed with diabetes in America. The American Diabetes Association (ADA) offers a rewarding career working for one of the premier voluntary health organizations in the world supporting people with type 1 & type 2 diabetes.
Our employees like working at the ADA because of our mission, the inclusive environment, remote working, and our competitive benefits package. Joining our dedicated team affords the gratification of knowing beyond a doubt that you will impact the lives and well-being of millions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of the American Diabetes Association to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
To find out more about the ADA as well as other exciting and fulfilling career opportunities please visit us at www.diabetes.org/careers. For full consideration, you must apply directly to the ADA Careers Page.
There’s nothing we can’t do when we’re Connected for Life!
Primary Location United States
Other Locations US-VA-Arlington
Work Locations VA11 Executive Offices 2451 Crystal Drive Arlington 22202
Organization ADA BU
Job Type Full-time
Job Posting May 20, 2022, 8:22:23 AM