Functional Title:Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer
Category Status:33-Exempt Regular
Applicant Search Category:Staff
University Authorized FTE:100
Unit:USG-Shady Grove Center
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the state’s flagship institution. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation’s legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation’s capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and in the world.
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.
The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The Universities at Shady Grove (USG) offers more than 80 undergraduate and graduate degree programs from nine Maryland public universities on one convenient campus in Montgomery County. USG helps prepare students for rewarding careers in the region’s most high-demand fields. Students who successfully complete their coursework on the USG campus graduate with a degree from one of its nine partner universities. Through on-campus services such as academic coaching, career advising, internship preparation, personal counseling, and leadership training, students leave the USG campus with the academic skills and real-world experiences needed for successful careers.
The Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer (CDEIO) is a newly created leadership position at USG. The Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer will serve as USG’s staff Equity Administrator. The CDEIO reports directly to the Executive Director and serves as a member of the Executive Council, working with other senior leaders to develop and drive forward the key strategies of USG. The CDEIO leads USG’s commitment and strategy to be a diverse, antiracist, equitable, and inclusive organization. The CDEIO will take the lead in setting and implementing an overarching vision of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) that eliminates marginalization and promote inclusive practices that will be evidenced through USG’s structures, customs, and leadership. The CDEIO will develop, review and implement equity-oriented processes and policies and provide support and consultation related to diversity, equity and inclusion programming and training to members of the USG Community. This position requires an inspiring, collaborative, courageous and innovative leader with outstanding people and management skills. The CDEIO will build and oversee a Diversity Equity Inclusion unit (DEI) and strengthen and leverage DEI relationships with academic partners.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university;
- 8-10 years of experience designing, developing, implementing, and evaluating Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity related initiatives.
- 3-5 years in a leadership role focused on the advancement of equity and inclusion. To include supervision of professional staff.
- Ability to identify and resolve complex talent management and equity issues.
- Knowledge and experience with ADA and EEO related issues.
- Experience working with HR on recruitment, hiring, and onboarding activities in a higher education setting.
- Relevant professional certifications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience working with marginalized or underrepresented communities;
- Experience developing strong, collaborative partnerships across a complex multi-institution system;
- A demonstrated commitment to advancing social justice, environmental issues, and a commitment to achieving equity, and inclusion for all;
- Growing knowledge of important DEI-related historical events, racial justice movements, and antiracist beliefs as well as an understanding of how they affected those communities/any important consequences thereof;
- Experience authoring and presenting executive summaries and annual reports especially related to DEI components of an organization’s strategic plan;
- Strong leadership skills to develop and motivate a DEI team;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and model strong professional ethics;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated bilingual abilities;
- Track record of evidence based (data informed) decision making;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Proficient in database analytics, including ad-hoc reporting, and statistical analysis.
- This position is located in Rockville, Maryland.
Job RisksNot Applicable to This Position
Professional Office Environment. Prolonged use of computer. Extended period of sitting and/or standing and talking. Ability to lift 20+ lbs. Occasional travel.
Open Until FilledNo
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.