Requisition Id 8292
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Multiscale Materials Group in the Computational Sciences and Engineering Division (CSED), Computing and Computational Sciences Directorate (CCSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). The Postdoctoral Research Associate will develop physics based models and support process development for additive manufacturing (AM). CSED focuses on transdisciplinary computational science and analytics at scale to enable scientific discovery across the physical sciences, engineered systems, and biomedicine and health. It provides foundations and advances in quantum information sciences to enable quantum computers, devices, and networked systems. It develops community applications, data assets, and technologies and provides assurance to build knowledge and impact in novel, crosscut-science outcomes.
The Multiscale Materials (MM) group is focused on delivering multiscale, multi-fidelity computational models and systems using algorithms and analytics for materials and related physical sciences for a broad range of energy, transportation, and advanced manufacturing applications. The MM group also houses specific strengths in numerical simulations of interfacial and reacting flows, relevant to material synthesis and manufacturing.
- Participate in multiscale modeling and simulation of various AM processes including powder bed fusion (PBF), direct energy deposition (DED) and/or hybrid AM processes
- Perform numerical simulations of melt pool and microstructure evolution relevant to AM
- Collaborate within a multi-disciplinary research environment consisting of computational scientists, experimentalists, and engineers conducting basic and applied research in support of the Laboratory’s missions
- Author peer reviewed papers, technical papers, and reports for internal and external release as well as represent the organization via technical presentations in workshops and conferences
- A PhD in materials science and engineering, mechanical engineering, welding engineering, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Experience in relevant physics, model development and application of simulation tools for AM
- Demonstrated expertise in melt pool and microstructure simulations relevant to AM (e.g., Star-CCM+, Flow-3D, SPPARKS, Cellular automata FEM, ABAQUS)
- Demonstrated expertise in multi-physics melt pool simulations with in-situ sensing (e.g., IR camera, Pyrometer etc.) and/or machine learning (ML)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to email@example.com with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.