Date: March 17, 2022
Job ID: 1313
Work Hours/Schedule: 40 hours/52 weeks
Compensation: Meet & Confer Grade 12 - $20.05/hour
Reports to: Biology Department Head
Posting Close Date: March 31, 2022
Grand Rapids Community College provides an excellent benefits experience for our GRCC family. Our benefit package is designed to enhance employees' health and well-being. Part-time employees have different benefits outlined in the specific collective bargaining agreements and handbooks. Below is an overview of these benefits, additional details are available on the Human Resources/Benefits website:
• Six health insurance plan options (includes a high deductible plan with a health savings account option).
• A unique dental & vision reimbursement program (includes coverage for adult orthodontia & lasik eye surgery).
• Employer sponsored retirement plans as well as voluntary retirement savings plans (403b or 457 plans)
• Tuition benefits at GRCC for you, your spouse and your dependents.
• Tuition reimbursement at other higher education institutions for you.
• Generous time off that includes sick, vacation and personal leave banks.
• Paid holidays and holiday shutdown period in late December!
This 40 hour/week position is split between the Biology and Physical Sciences Departments (approximately 27 hours are spent working in the Biology Department and approximately 13 hours are spent working in the Physical Sciences Department). While ultimately reporting to the Department Head of Biology, this position coordinates with faculty and staff from both departments to oversee activities in both departments on the GRCC Main Campus and at Off-Site classes. Acts as liaison to faculty and personnel at off-campus locations, and transports labs, supplies, and equipment to off-site locations.
Acts as a safety coordinator for the departments at sites where labs are delivered. Characterizes all waste generated by laboratory experiments and packs hazardous waste for disposal. Handles all issues related to lab supplies, including ordering supplies and instruments, maintaining (equipment, chemical and SDS) inventories, and managing proper storage. This position may require weekday, evening and/or weekend duties with variable time schedules.
Essential Job Functions
• Coordinates biological and physical sciences labs at GRCC Off-Site locations.
• Coordinates biological and physical sciences labs on GRCC Main campus
• Assumes additional duties of lab preparation, setup, and take-down for other laboratory classes as time permits.
• Communicates and collaborates with the Dean of GRCC Lakeshore Campus and other Off-Site personnel to ensure smooth operation of Off-Site classes.
• Manages inventories and needs assessment for weekend and off-site laboratories.
• Transports labs, supplies, and equipment to and from off-site locations.
• Prepares and maintains bacterial cultures for BI 127 and BI 152 labs and formulates required media and stains.
• Independently formulates, prepares and packages chemical/biological reagents and student unknown samples.
• Analyzes and troubleshoots failed experiments and/or inconsistent experimental results and investigates new and innovative laboratory equipment and instruments.
• Pursues, suggests, develops, and tests the use of modified and/or new labs.
• Monitors and trains student workers and laboratory assistants in collaboration with the Lab Coordinator.
• Provides technical support or assistance to faculty and students.
• Assists with the development and maintenance of department budgets for instructional laboratory supplies/equipment.
• Reconciles and maintain department purchasing records.
• Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Marginal Job Functions
• Updates laboratory preparation notes.
• Collects and maintains a library of instrument manuals, user guides, vendor supply catalogs and SDS records.
• Engages in professional development activities and maintains expertise in the field of biology.
• Maintains and repairs laboratory equipment.
• Participates in departmental community service events and activities.
• Executes other duties as assigned by the Laboratory Coordinator and/or the Department Head.
• Bachelor’s degree in Biology or Chemistry required
• National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred.
• Experience in microbiology preparation (culturing of microbes, media preparation, chemical preparation, autoclave use).
• Knowledge of safety issues and OSHA regulations.
• Exposure to biosafety practices and procedures for microbiological laboratories.
• Possession of leadership qualities, good people service skills and a student-oriented focus. Competencies
• The following competencies are essential and will be evaluated for our candidates through the evidence-based selection process:
• Handling and Moving Objects
• Performing General Physical Activities
• Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work
• Inspecting Equipment, Structures, or Material
• Getting Information
• Making Decisions and Solving Problems
• Communicating with Supervisors
• Controlling Machines and Processes
• Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards
• Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings
• Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
• Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships
• Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge
• Assisting and Caring for Others
• Scheduling Work and Activities
• Manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination to efficiently, accurately and safely operate laboratory equipment and tools.
• Stand or sit for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift and move up to 40 pounds.
• Excellent organizational skills, aptitude to prioritize, and complete tasks in a timely manner.
• Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
• Attention to detail.
• Demonstrate initiative and problem-solving abilities.
• Possess mature judgment and is flexible in regards to interruptions and schedule changes.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Team player who maintains a positive working relationship with co-workers.
• Grand Rapids Community College will comply with any mandated health and safety
requirements. Employees will be directed to our GRCC Policy(s) for compliance information.
• Laboratory environment in an academic setting
• Travel to off-site locations.
• Exposure to contaminants and hazardous conditions on a weekly basis.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on March 31, 2022 at 11:59PM. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.
Please apply through your Online Center or at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs