Graphic Designer- Professional Services- No Benefits (Contingency)
Position Number: 1311
Date Posted : March 07, 2022
Hours: 28 hours per week
Reports to: Lead Graphics Designer
Close Date: Open until filled
As part of the graphics team, this position assists in creating materials to tell Grand Rapids Community College’s story
while continually keeping the mission, vision, values and ends in mind. This position will provide exceptional customer service and create solutions to support campus client needs through communication skills, collaboration, creativity, dedication and use of technology.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Production skills and knowledge of the printing processes.
- Knowledge of papers, inks, and creating paper dummies.
- Design print and digital graphics.
- Create effective layouts with type, color and imagery.
- Write and/or review specifications and request quotes for projects.
- Knowledge of postal regulations and mailing requirements.
- Work effectively as part of a creative team.
- Provide excellent customer service to all college departments.
- Collaborate with customers relative to job planning and timelines.
- Prepare and send proofs for campus client review.
- Work with supervisor to coordinate and manage multiple projects with tight deadlines, and to assure deadlines and expectations are met.
- Proficiency and accountability in proofreading for accuracy and quality, and use of AP style.
- Provide status updates on projects to supervisor. Assist supervisor in identifying problems and finding solutions.
- Collaborate with campus stakeholders to continually maintain GRCC’s brand identity for support services, programs,
- events and college promotion.
- Meet with campus clients and supervisor to plan and discuss projects.
- Work with printers on design and printing issues.
- Persons in this role are identified as a Campus Security Authority (CSA). CSA’s will be trained and responsible for
- reporting Clery Reportable Crimes to Campus Police as required by the Clery Act.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree in graphic design or a related field required.
- National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred, but not required.
- One year relevant experience in graphic design with a digital portfolio preferred.
- Experience using current technology such as Adobe Creative Cloud, especially InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and
- Acrobat, Google Workspace, and the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of digital asset management platforms, prepress, and printing management software
- Experience working within established brand standards.
- Ability to create accessible and interactive PDF documents preferred.
- Fluency in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat on a Mac.
- Ability to use Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel, Gsuite and email.
- Ability to use equipment such as telephones, printer, scanner, copier and photo equipment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work well with a diverse group including team
- members, customers and vendors.
- Teamwork skills.
- Communication skills.
- Time management skills.
- Above average organizational skills
- Excellent proofreading skills for accuracy and quality and knowledge of AP style.
- This position requires long periods of sitting, reading and writing, in addition to collaborations with external and
- internal constituents that require adept listening and speaking skills.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to adapt and work in a fast paced, team-based, collaborative environment.
- Customer service-oriented, with the ability to relate well to a diverse array of campus clients, including faculty, staff
- and students.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple projects at one time.
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- High level of creativity, energy, enthusiasm and motivation.
- Must possess initiative and be able to work independently and ask for guidance when needed.
- Ability to use good judgment when handling confidential, or sensitive, college material.
- The work environment is fast-paced and team-oriented.
- This position requires the individual to transition smoothly between independent and collaborative efforts.
- Grand Rapids Community College will comply with any mandated health and safety requirements. Employees will be
- directed to our GRCC Policy(s) for compliance information.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs. The posting will remain open until filled. Please include your resume and cover letter in one document. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The College will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation.