Director of Human Resources
The Director is responsible for overseeing the planning, activities, and operations of the Human Resources Department. The position provides highly responsible and complex support.
The salary range for this position is $64,049 to $81,517. This position reports to the President.
The successful candidate will be trustworthy, approachable and demonstrate energy, passion, and innovation while assuming responsibility for primary department functions including, recruitment and employment, personnel operations, Section 125 benefits and retirement benefits administration, health and welfare programs, compensation processes, employee relations, Worker's Compensation, FOIA coordination, FMLA management, ADA compliance, EEO,
disciplinary procedures, risk management, and manages department budget. It is important that there is recognition, acceptance, and adherence to the community college mission and philosophy from our successful candidate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coordinates with administration, supervisors, and others to develop and implement employee training and development programs related to the HR function; coordinates with administration, supervisors, and others to ensure supportive onboarding of new employees.
• Works with employees to effectively resolve grievances; negotiates sensitive and controversial issues; meets with employees to identify and resolve personnel matters and makes a priority to develop and maintain effective employee relations.
• Attends and participates in professional group meetings; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the field of human resources; incorporates new developments as appropriate.
• Responsible for the interpretation, communication, and oversight of employment and labor laws; develops and implements departmental priorities and opportunities for improvement.
• Conducts full cycle recruiting, including sourcing, reference checks, background checks, hiring process and interviewing.
• Assists the Vice President of Business Services as needed in negotiations with the collective bargaining units; researches and assists in drafting tentative agreements and memorandum of understandings.
• Administers and manages the compilation of statistics on personnel data; prepares reports and surveys required by pertinent laws and regulations in areas such as employee safety, welfare, and health reporting; oversees maintenance of employee personnel files.
• Investigates and assists in resolution of discrimination and sexual harassment complaints; Actively participates in Title IX compliance and resolution activities as required of the position.
• Recommends and administers policies and work procedures for effectiveness; develops and maintains the employee handbook.
• Serves on college committees as appropriate; serves on local civic and/or community organizations as a college representative and serves as a liaison with professional organizations as appropriate.
• Works with outside agencies and organizations as required of the position.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Oversee a comprehensive human resource administration program for a college.
• Analyze and assess operational needs and adjust accordingly.
• Identify and respond to organizational needs and opportunities for improvement.
• Research new service delivery methods and techniques.
• Effectively serve as a resource to employees pertaining to human resources related concerns.
• Interpret and apply applicable federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Operations of a comprehensive human resource administration program.
• Principles and applications of recruitment and equal employment opportunity.
• Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
• Computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
• Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
• Principles and practices of labor relations, collective bargaining, and contract negotiations.
• Recruitment and selection process for all classifications is in compliance with applicable procedures, policy, regulations and guidelines.
Bachelor's degree and work experience related to the responsibilities of the position.
Bachelor's degree, with a focus on business, human resources, social or organizational behavioral sciences, 3+ years of experience in the administration of a comprehensive human resources program/field, HR certification, knowledge of and current experience in higher education.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee may need to file, handle, and transport physical materials, such as paperwork, books, or tech equipment. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near a video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Don’t just work here... Live here.
About Our College:
Gogebic Community College is more than a place to work. It’s a place to be. As an Aspen Award finalist and the premier provider of quality two-year education in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, Gogebic employs a community college approach in delivering university-level quality.
Gogebic supports more than 1,000 students with small class sizes and an outcome focused philosophy. Gogebic Community College’s “Go BOLD” motto prescribes a dynamic environment in which students and employees alike are supported as they do great work, live adventurous lives, and build extraordinary futures.
About Our Region:
A few miles north of ordinary lies the Upper Peninsula’s Gogebic region. Amid nearly a million acres of natural beauty in the Ottawa National Forest, Gogebic is a wonderland for work and a paradise for play. Our dazzling region, known for world-class
fishing, hiking, skiing, biking, snowmobiling and outdoor adventuring, represents one of Michigan’s last unspoiled gems.
A Bold Place to Work…
Gogebic is more than a community college… It’s a college community—known for supportive leadership and dynamic, down-to-earth employees. A community institution at the heart of our region’s workforce, the College and its graduates
uplift not only local economies, but those throughout Michigan, and beyond. Combining high standards with a “serving the top 100%” approach, Gogebic Community College is a place to make a stand for your career…and make a difference in the lives of students.
A Bold Place to Ski…
Gogebic Community College is the only college in the United States hosting an on-campus ski resort. Home to GCC’s nationally renowned Ski Area Management program, the Mt. Zion Recreational Complex is a professionally managed and maintained public ski facility featuring a state-of-the-art lift and 300 feet of vertical.
A Bold Place to Be…
The Gogebic region provides a stunning, million-acre backdrop on which to explore adventure, connect with nature, and discover yourself. Located four hours from the Twin Cities and six hours from Chicago, Gogebic residents get the best of both worlds: small-town connectedness, with access to big-city culture. Local hiking, biking, skiing, and snowboarding trails include the North Country Trail and the famed 1,200- mile Iron Belle Trail, as well as routes traversing Black River Harbor, the Porcupine Mountains, Sylvania wilderness, and the Ottawa National Forest. With a persistent economy driven by a mix
of construction, manufacturing, tourism, transportation, and retail, the region boasts a stable workforce, with skilled positions paying living wages.
Gogebic Community College is a learning community that contributes to academic, cultural, economic, and social success for our students and region.
Applications will be received until position is filled. Interested individuals should submit a portfolio containing all five of the following in one email or mailed envelope to the President’s Office:
1. Letter of interest
2. Detailed resume
3. Three references with current contact information
4. GCC Application for Employment
5. Unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment)
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
(906) 932-4231, ext. 201
Gogebic Community College is an equal opportunity educator and employer.