The Instructional Designer is a full-time position that provides leadership of the College's online and distance learning courses and programs, Learning Management System (LMS) support for faculty, and professional development to all instructors. The salary range for this position is $58,227 – $74,107, with a very generous benefit package. This position reports to the Vice President of Academic Services and works collaboratively with faculty and Information Technology services. The Designer is responsible for ensuring that the quality of the online courses at Gogebic Community College is strong
and is consistent with the rigor and scope of face-to-face offerings. The Instructional Designer is responsible for ensuring that all accreditation and regulatory requirements for online and distance learning are met with an emphasis on certifying that all online instructional material is accessible. The ideal candidate could be based at our main campus in Ironwood, MI or at our satellite campus in Houghton, MI.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Design, develop, and deliver training to faculty in the use of instructional technologies and instructional resources to support teaching and learning.
• Assist faculty and related administrators to implement effective pedagogies, technologies, and methodologies in respective programs to promote student engagement and success.
• Provide strategic direction for online and distance learning commensurate with industry best practices, ADA compliance support, copyright and quality assurance.
• Lead efforts to design, maintain, and support learning spaces with technology for distance learning, while collaborating with faculty and IT staff to ensure an optimal user experience.
• Research and utilize the most up-to-date practices and technologies related to instructional design and online or distance learning applications.
• Assist IT in identifying and resolving issues and inquires related to instructional technologies in a timely manner, ensuring appropriate action to the satisfaction of faculty and students.
• Optimizing online, on-ground, and hybrid course scheduling to fit with necessary technology and guided pathways for student success.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree required from a U.S. Department of Education regionally accredited college or university.
• Experience in instructional design and working with online content.
• Teaching or training experience.
• Experience developing Online courses and curriculum.
• Knowledge of Learning Management Systems.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee may need to file, handle, and transport physical materials, such as paperwork, books, or tech equipment. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near a video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Don’t just work here... Live here.
About Our College:
Gogebic Community College is more than a place to work. It’s a place to be.
As an Aspen Award finalist and the premier provider of quality two-year education in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, Gogebic employs a community college approach in
delivering university-level quality. Gogebic supports more than 1,000 students with small class sizes and an outcome
Gogebic Community College’s “Go BOLD” motto prescribes a dynamic environment in which students and employees alike are supported as they do great work, live
adventurous lives, and build extraordinary futures.
About Our Region:
A few miles north of ordinary lies the Upper Peninsula’s Gogebic region. Amid nearly a million acres of natural beauty in the Ottawa National Forest, Gogebic is a
wonderland for work and a paradise for play. Our dazzling region, known for world-class fishing, hiking, skiing, biking, snowmobiling and outdoor adventuring, represents one of Michigan’s last unspoiled gems.
A Bold Place to Work…
Gogebic is more than a community college… It’s a college community—known for supportive leadership and dynamic, down-to-earth employees.
A community institution at the heart of our region’s workforce, the College and its graduates uplift not only local economies, but those throughout Michigan, and beyond. Combining high standards with a “serving the top 100%” approach, Gogebic Community College is a place to make a stand for your career…and make a difference in the lives of students.
A Bold Place to Ski…
Gogebic Community College is the only college in the United States hosting an on campus ski resort. Home to GCC’s nationally renowned Ski Area Management program, the Mt. Zion Recreational Complex is a professionally managed and maintained public ski facility featuring a state-of-the-art lift and 300 feet of vertical.
A Bold Place to Be…
The Gogebic region provides a stunning, million-acre backdrop on which to explore adventure, connect with nature, and discover yourself.
Located four hours from the Twin Cities and six hours from Chicago, Gogebic residents get the best of both worlds: small-town connectedness, with access to big-city culture. Local hiking, biking, skiing, and snowboarding trails include the North Country Trail and the famed 1,200-mile Iron Belle Trail, as well as routes traversing Black River Harbor, the Porcupine Mountains, Sylvania wilderness, and the Ottawa National Forest. With a persistent economy driven by a mix of construction, manufacturing, tourism, transportation, and retail, the region boasts a stable workforce, with skilled positions paying living wages.
Gogebic Community College is a learning community that contributes to academic, cultural, economic, and social success for our students and region.
This position will be open until filled.
Interested individuals should submit a portfolio containing all five of the following in one email or mailed envelope to HR:
1. a letter of interest
2. a detailed resume
3. three references with current contact information
4. GCC Application for Employment
5. unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment)
Director of Human Resources
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
(906) 932-4231 ext. 324
Gogebic Community College is an equal opportunity educator and employer