Germanna Community College is a two-year public institution of higher education in the Virginia Community College System. As a comprehensive community college, Germanna provides quality, accessible, and affordable educational opportunities for the residents of the City of Fredericksburg and the counties of Caroline, Culpeper, King George, Madison, Orange, Spotsylvania and Stafford.
Germanna Community College is a public, open access institution of higher education in the Virginia Community College System. The College is a dynamic learning organization that serves as a regional leader and preferred partner where quality learning experiences enable students to participate effectively in the social, economic, political, intellectual, and cultural life of their communities. Germanna Community College is centrally located in Fredericksburg, VA between Washington D.C. and Richmond and between the Blue Ridge mountains and the Chesapeake Bay. Full of history, the area offers a community rich with diversity, the arts, technology, vineyards, hiking, canoeing/kayaking and many other activities.
Germanna is searching for two academic advisors, one to serve the Fredericksburg area campus, and one to serve the Locust Grove campus. The academic advisor will help students achieve their educational and career goals by working closely with them to identify strengths, understand degree and course options and to act as a resource until the student reaches their goal. Advisors are passionate about assisting students as they advance through their academic journey from orientation to graduation and must be proactive to ensure that students are progressing toward their goals by communicating regularly, maintaining records of performance, making connections to available supports and assisting with academic interventions when necessary. Advisors often support initiatives enacted by the state legislature, and because of this must be trainable on new tasks and programs throughout their tenure. Advisors must have extensive knowledge of the institution’s policies and the resources available to students. Ideal candidates will be caring, organized, communicative and accessible.
- Discuss career and educational goals with students
- Advise individuals regarding future learning goals
- Maintain records of advising sessions and student performance
- Identify student strengths and weaknesses
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of institutional policies
- Connect students with resources, such as counselors or tutors
To apply for this position, please follow this link, https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/39725
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values of Germanna Community College. We recognize our responsibility to create, maintain, and nurture an academic and social environment that respects the diversity of people and ideas. We are committed to being an inclusive community that respects all cultures, experiences, and abilities and that prepares individuals to thrive in a global society.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or on the basis of disability. Germanna is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled.
Germanna is a federal contractor requesting priority referrals of protected veterans for our job opportunities.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting Liz Hunziker by phone at 540-423-9056 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to see a copy of our Affirmative Action Plan please contact Laurie Bourne by phone at 540-423-9055 or by email email@example.com
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in related field or related experience
- Strong written communication skills
- Strong oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of educational resource management software, like Student Information Systems
- Ability to understand and adhere to policies, procedures and resources
- A desire to help students realize, understand and reach their educational or career goals
- Master’s degree or equivalent
- Knowledge of Navigate and Oracle’s PeopleSoft software tools
- Ability to understand and adhere to educational policies, procedures, resources, and guidelines
- Student services experience at the college level
- Student services experience at the community college level
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon an acceptable background investigation and reference check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To be considered for this position please submit your completed application, resume and a letter of interest as soon as you are able. To apply for this position, please follow this link, https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/39725
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Commonwealth Of Virginia