Harvard Medical School
The Center for Bioethics brings together the rich intellectual resources of the medical school faculty with health professionals and scientists from our affiliated teaching hospitals, departments across Harvard, and colleagues from other institutions worldwide to ensure that scientific progress, medical therapeutics, and health care practices proceed hand-in-hand with reflection about the profound moral questions raised by advances in the life sciences. Our mission is to use these resources to execute our vision in teaching, service and scholarship.
Reporting to the Director of Administration, and working closely with the Director of the Masters of Bioethics Program and the Co-Director of the Virtual MBE track, the Associate Director of Education will lead the education team to deliver high quality teaching and learning experiences for our students, fellows, faculty, and community.
The Associate Director of Education will:
• Informed and aligned with the MBE and Center mission and priorities, and in partnership with the Center and MBE leadership, develop and execute strategic plans for Center educational offerings including the MBE, Fellowship, RCR, and future growth areas that could include certificate programs or other revenue generating offerings. Continuously assess the organizational structure and plan of the Education team to most efficiently execute these plans.
• Hire, train, and supervise the Education staff, including an Education Coordinator and Admissions Coordinator with responsibility for administrative and program support of the Master of Bioethics degree, Fellowship in Bioethics, and Responsible Conduct of Research program.
• Responsible for the day to day operations of the Master of Bioethics program, specifically:
o Student experience from on-boarding and orientation through alumni management
o Academic progress oversight, counseling, and planning with students on conduct and other issues and APRB process and reporting. Meets with students and faculty to discuss program expectations and policies. Ensures follow-up and resolution.
o With the Master’s Program Director, prepares and updates the Master of Bioethics section of the HMS Graduate Student Handbook, including program-specific policies and procedures.
o In conjunction with Capstone Director, will oversee and manage capstone placements, milestone monitoring, and mentor engagement
o Develops and offers faculty professional development opportunities with Center faculty directors and other colleagues at Harvard Medical School and Harvard University.
o In conjunction with Program Director, oversees recruitment and admissions
o Oversees student resources and compliance
o Oversees Writing Support utilization and other program offerings
• In conjunction with the Fellowship Director, oversees the Fellowship recruitment, admissions, and the Fellowship experience to ensure smooth operation and integration of the program into the Center’s many other activities.
• In partnership with the Assistant Director for Communications, Marketing and Events, develop and execute the marketing strategy for the MBE student recruitment, Bioethics Fellowship, and other educational offerings as they may develop. Collaborates to generate a strategy and marketing plan that attracts qualified leads and converts them to enrolled students.
• Work with Faculty Directors of monthly consortia to develop learning objectives and evaluation each academic year.
• Oversee the management of the Center for Bioethics partnership in the Responsible Conduct of Research program offered in conjunction with the Office for Postdoctoral Fellows
• Oversee program evaluation and assessment for all educational programs. Ensure data-informed decision-making and a culture of continuous improvement within the Center programs at the Core leadership and staff levels.
• Develop and oversee alumni database and communication for MBE and Fellowship alumnae.
Master’s degree plus 7+ years of progressive program management experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
Project and staff management experience preferred. Experience in strategic planning, and strong organizational and managerial skills. Excellent interpersonal skills. Outstanding oral and written communication skills. Experience working with a variety of constituents. The applicant should be trustworthy and diplomatic, with a high energy level, and with excellent leadership, management and organizational skills. They should be able to work effectively with other directors and faculty, anticipate and resolve problems.
Additional Information: The Associate Director of Education is part of the HCB administrative team whose mission is to support the Center’s faculty and students in teaching, service, and scholarship. As part of this unique and growing Center, this position works in a high-volume, fast paced and dynamic environment. All formal offers will be made by HMS Human Resources.
This Staff role may start as a remote position due to the COVID-19 pandemic and while restrictions are still in place. The current remote nature of this role is considered temporary and may change as the University continues to evaluate options. While we continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 guidelines, local on-campus work may be expected for some roles. Harvard Medical School does support flexible schedules, subject to individual departments’ business needs.
Harvard requires COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/ .
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
Faculty & Student Services, General Administration
USA - MA - Boston
361058 Administrative Manager
Center for Bioethics
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Full-Time, Monday-Friday | 35 hours/week standard schedule
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.