The Manager of Corporate Membership is an integral member of Liberty Science Center’s External Affairs team working in collaboration with the team to achieve ambitious financial goals on behalf of the Science Center. You will oversee LSC’s corporate membership program, including prospecting, sales, retention, relationship cultivation, database systems, data analysis, processes, budgets, and administration. The Manager will lead in creating and implementing a corporate membership strategy, including conducting research, developing proposals, soliciting, and cultivating relationships. The Manager will work with various internal partners to grow the program and manage deliverables.
The Manager of Corporate Membership reports to the Vice President of External Affairs.
What You’ll Bring
Engaging with members of the public, being resourceful, and adhering to deadlines comes naturally to you. Able to easily work with a team, you also enjoy being a self-starter. You understand the importance of acting with diplomacy, sound judgment, and discretion at all times. A strategic thinker and detailed researcher, you are also able to step away from the laptop and channel your inner storyteller and brand ambassador when necessary. In addition, you are curious about and excited by the ever-converging worlds of science, technology, engineering, art, mathematics, and culture.
What You’ll Do
- With the support and guidance of the VP of External Affairs and other team members manage a portfolio of corporate prospects with the goal of maintaining and increasing existing levels of giving and generating new sources of support
- Research and identify new corporate members and sponsor prospects in consultation with membership, marketing, special events, development, and education departments
- Field inquiries via phone and email, providing member service/troubleshooting as necessary
- Fulfill corporate member benefit obligations and requests.
- Achieve aggressive financial targets in both membership and sponsorship programs for the purpose of producing unrestricted funds to support the organization's operational budget.
- Develop and deliver compelling presentations in support of institutional initiatives for prospects in the corporate market
- Create, develop, and manage the production of all corporate membership-related collateral materials, including upkeep of corporate membership promotional contents such as website listing, information packets, decks, materials, and benefits sheets, etc.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of current and planned LSC programs, exhibits, and marketing initiatives for the purposes of accurately and persuasively communicating achievements
- Ensure routine communication is maintained with key contacts and corporate supporters to foster investment
- Coordinate communication across LSC departments to ensure understanding of sponsorship commitments, adherence to agreements, and quality of sponsorship fulfillment.
- Provide input and assist with the strategy for the membership department, including establishing short- and long-range goals in cooperation with the Director of Membership to achieve institution membership objectives
- Implements membership acquisition strategies, such as direct mail, phone soliciting, off-site, and internet sales
- Implement strategies for renewing annual support of current corporate members
- Prepare and update reports
- Attends and assists development events as requested.
- Works as a team member in External Affairs on a range of fundraising and development areas
- Attends and assists development events as requested
- Performs other duties as required by management
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
The ideal candidate possesses a combination of the following KSAs:
- Knowledge of marketing strategies for executing corporate giving
- Strong business management principles involving strategic planning and resources allocation
- Strong organizational skills with and an eye toward detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to engage in mission-driven storytelling/marketing/branding
- Outstanding interpersonal skills that contribute to effective relationship cultivation and stewardship
- Ability and commitment to act with integrity and demonstrate a high degree of ethical professionalism
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, or another relevant field
- 5+ years of development experience in a nonprofit setting
- Proven track record of fundraising within the corporate sector
- Experience promoting the mission of corporate partners as well as extending their brand reach to a target audience
- Experience dealing with corporate marketing, HR, and/or events departments
- Proficient with Google platform, databases, and CRM software; Tessitura is a huge plus
Classification and Schedule
This is a regular full-time position and is non-exempt. This role is eligible for full benefits. Flexibility to attend membership/development or LSC events on evenings, early mornings, or weekends is necessary.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The Manager of Corporate Membership will need the ability to lift 25 pounds, operate a car and use standard office equipment such as a computer, phone, copier, and scanner. This role must be able to sit at a computer for extended periods. This role also must work in an open office environment and be able to tolerate moderate noise.
This position may require local travel. Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a car.
Work Culture at a Glimpse
LSC prides itself on fostering a culture that enables all employees to experience a sense of pleasure, passion, and purpose while in the workplace. We believe in embracing and driving change, inspiring fun and learning, and creating a positive and family-friendly team spirit. Our differences as individuals (race, gender, age, cultural heritage, physical ability, education, and lifestyle) are an asset and contribute to our ability to drive innovation. Lastly, at the heart of our work culture is the commitment to delivering a “wow factor” through our exceptional customer service to not only our guests but also one another.
Liberty Science Center is located in a beautiful waterfront state park in Jersey City, New Jersey. Not only is Jersey City easy to get to from any point in Northern NJ and Manhattan, but it also holds the title of the most diverse city in the United States. Employees have access to free parking, the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, and the NJ Path train. In addition, all employees have access to an on-site café and a terrace with stunning NYC views.
IMPORTANT: To Apply
Because this role requires the ability to “sell” an experience, then submit a cover letter selling us on why we should hire you! Cover letters and resumes are REQUIRED to be considered for this role.
Liberty Science Center (LSC) is committed to a diverse workforce. It is LSC’s policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.