Apply now Job no:518911
Work type:Research Faculty
Senior management: College of Engineering
Department: Mechanical Engineering
Categories:Engineering, Research / Scientific
A postdoctoral opening is immediately available in the Soft Materials and Structures Lab under the direction of Dr. Michael Bartlett at Virginia Tech (https://bartlett.me.vt.edu/). The opening is in the general area of soft matter engineering. Depending on a candidate’s background, several areas will be considered including:
• Soft electronics and soft robotics through liquid metal-based materials, solid-liquid composites, and/or fluid-based systems.
• Morphing and adaptive materials through stimuli-responsive materials, mechanical metamaterials, and/or programmable soft materials.
• Switchable and tunable adhesives for strong attachment yet easy release in dry and wet environments.
- PhD in mechanical engineering, materials engineering, polymer engineering, electrical engineering, or a related area. PhD must be awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
- Strong background in soft materials with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with experiments and simulations.
January 28, 2022
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination or receive approval from the university for a vaccination exemption due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Amanda Collins at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.