Agribusiness and Food Industry Liaison
Position Location : CSU SPUR Denver Campus, CO
Posting Number : 202100390F
Proposed Annual Salary Range $80,000 – $130,000 plus comprehensive benefits package. Salary based on FTE and is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Colorado State University (CSU) is committed to providing employees with a strong and competitive benefits package that supports you, your health, and your family. Visit CSU’s Human Resources website for detailed benefit plan information for permanent full-time and part-time faculty and administrative professional employees in the following University benefit areas: https://hr.colostate.edu/hr-community-and-supervisors/benefits/benefits-eligibility/ and https://hr.colostate.edu/prospective-employees/our-perks/.
Position Type : Faculty
Work Hours/Week : 40
Description of Work Unit
SPUR is a new branch campus of Colorado State University, slated to open in 2022. It consists of three new state-of-the-art buildings (called Vida, Terra and Hydro) that will house a variety of educational and research programs. The mission of SPUR is to be a year-round urban hub for food and ag discovery. The CSU SPUR campus is part of the larger National Western Center, which houses the National Western Stock Show. When fully constructed and staffed, SPUR will host events for families and tourists, K-12 student field trips, conference and meetings, research in state-of-the-art labs, college educational programs, and studios for local artists.
The Agribusiness and Food Innovation Management (AFIM) program will be located at the SPUR campus. However, the degree is administered through the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics (DARE) in the College of Agricultural Sciences at CSU’s main campus in Fort Collins. DARE has a long history of administering both master’s and PhD programs and is dedicated to engaging stakeholders through both research and outreach—locally, nationally, and globally. Marketing, student enrollment, and other functions for the AFIM program are to be managed by the CSU Online division, since the degree program is not housed on the Fort Collins campus.
Tenure/Tenure Track? No
Teaching : 15%
Administration : 25%
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59pm (MT) on 01/20/2022
Number of Vacancies : 1
Desired Start Date : 04/01/2022
The individual who fills the industry liaison position will become the point person for building and maintaining relationships between industry leaders in the agribusiness and food sectors and CSU’s programs in agribusiness and food innovation at the Spur campus. The successful candidate will become a well-known and trusted leader in agribusiness and food innovation within Colorado and nationally.
Initially, during the startup phase of the Agribusiness and Food Innovation Management (AFIM) master’s degree program at the CSU Spur campus, the industry liaison will devote 100% of their efforts to the development of the AFIM program. Thereafter, it is expected that the industry liaison position will transition up to 50% of their time to a complementary role within any of several other highly synergistic, industry-oriented innovation programs being launched at Spur.
In support of the AFIM program, the industry liaison will take responsibility over several activities, all of which are based upon networking and building relationships with the business community: (1) organizing and hosting programs and events to bring industry innovators to the SPUR campus to interact with AFIM students, faculty, as well as with each other; (2) organizing and teaching an introductory masters level course, consisting of industry field trips and guest speakers, introducing students to the range of players that make up the agricultural and food system; (3) managing a portfolio of year-long business development practicum projects in which teams of masters students explore and develop the market potential of early-stage ideas in partnership with the companies, non-profits, or academic innovators that submit those ideas. These activities will help to implement a philosophy of “learning-by-creating-value” that is central to the degree program.
In support of these activities, the industry liaison is expected to collaborate closely with other faculty and administrative leadership at the SPUR campus, with colleagues on the Fort Collins campus, particularly within the College of Agricultural Sciences, as well as with CSU Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension personal stationed throughout Colorado.
The position will be hired at a 0.75 FTE or 1.0 FTE, depending on the candidate’s preference and experience. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License
Required Job Qualifications
- Masters or graduate professional degree in a field relevant to innovation of agriculture or food.
- Minimum three years work experience in the private sector, within the agricultural/food industries.
- Demonstrated experience in teaching, training or mentoring.
- Demonstrated Strong communications skills.
- Demonstrated orientation toward professional networking and intensive, dynamic interaction across organizations.
- Must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license or access to a licensed driver by the employment start date.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Experience in developing and using websites, blogs, and/or social media for professional communications
- Experience working at the interface of private and public sectors.
- At least five years professional work experience within the agricultural/food industries.
- Experience managing people and/or projects.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion as evidenced by previous educational or work experiences.
- Background, education, and professional experiences that span across multiple different parts of agricultural and food systems; thus, can understand different perspectives on complex issues
- Experience in some aspects of the business startup experience, including being an entrepreneur, working at a startup, working at a business incubator or accelerator, working in venture capital.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, please apply by January 20, 2022. Position open until filled.
Apply online with the following materials (1) Cover letter; (2) Resume or Vitae; (3) Contact information for 3 references . References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates. Degree verification may be requested at a later date from finalists.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will also be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the University, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or pregnancy in its employment, programs, services and activities, and admissions, and, in certain circumstances, marriage to a co-worker. The University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity and equal access institution and affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Job Duty Category Engagement with Industry Leaders
- Build and maintain relationships between CSU Spur campus programs and the owners and executives of all sizes of businesses, government agencies, and other organizations operating within the agricultural and food industries, especially those engaged in R&D and business development activities.
- Organize and host meetings, programs, and events to bring such industry innovators to the SPUR campus to interact with current AFIM students, faculty, as well as with each other, such as networking receptions, workshops, seminars, lectures, recruiting and job fairs, visiting scholars, entrepreneurs-in-residence, etc.
The objectives of these engagement activities will be
(1) to recruit potential students to apply to and enroll in the AFIM program,
(2) to enable current AFIM students and faculty to better understand and network with members of the ag and food business community,
(3) to solicit the submission of ideas or challenges from industry partners that would be appropriate as practicum projects to be conducted by AFIM student teams in collaboration with those industry partners.
Initially, during the startup phase of the AFIM master’s degree program at the CSU Spur campus, the industry liaison will devote 60% of their efforts to engagement with industry, focused on fulfilling the objectives of the AFIM program. Thereafter, it is expected that the industry liaison position will transition up to 50% time to a similar industry engagement role within any of several other highly synergistic, industry-oriented innovation programs being launched at Spur. At that point, 10% of the industry liaison’s time devoted to industry engagement on behalf of the AFIM program can leverage the 50% devoted to industry engagement on behalf of the other program(s) at Spur.