Date: January 13, 2022
Title: Laboratory Assistant- Professional Services- Limited Benefits (Contingency)
Position Number: 1279
Schedule: 40 hours per week
Compensation: $20.05 per hour
Reports to: Physical Sciences Laboratory Coordinator
Posting closing date: Until Filled
*For information on “Who are Professional Services: Limited Benefit Employees?” please visit http://www.grcc.edu/humanresources/employeegroups/contingentemployees.
Assists the Physical Science Laboratory coordinator with the coordination of daily activities assigned to the Physical Science instructional laboratory classrooms, stockrooms, long-term storage and preparation areas at various on-site and/or off-site locations. This position may require weekday, evening and/or weekend duties, at various locations, and flexible work time schedules.
• Assists the lab coordinator with oversight of student workers: assists interviews, hires/releases, trains, supervises, evaluates and guides student employees. Maintains student worker scheduling records. Assigns tasks and oversees student employees as they prepare and maintain laboratory classrooms for daily
instructional activities, including the transport, assembling and dismantling of laboratory materials, supplies and equipment required to perform laboratory demonstrations, exercises and experiments. Monitors and delegates additional activities to be performed by student employees (i.e. cleaning glassware, cleaning laboratory classrooms, benches and equipment, preparing chemical solutions, repairing equipment, etc.).
• Assists with the coordination, preparation, transportation, assembling and dismantling of materials, tools and equipment required to carry out laboratory demonstrations and exercises performed within the physical science and biology departments. This work may include transporting instructional laboratory supplies and equipment to and from various locations.
• Assists with the formulation, preparation, standardization and packaging of chemical or biochemical reagents, solutions, solids and unknown samples required to carry out all laboratory demonstrations and experiments performed within the physical science department.
• Assists with all safety aspects inherent to instructional laboratory classrooms, stockrooms, long-term storage and preparation areas. Maintains security, practices safe handling, proper storage and labeling of chemicals and reagents, and assists with the package and characterization of laboratory waste generated by the physical science department.
• Assists with updating laboratory preparation notes.
• May participate in the procurement process for physical science instructional laboratory supplies and equipment.
• Assists with maintaining the library collections of scientific laboratory equipment instructional manuals and MSDS records.
• Assists with maintaining an accurate electronic inventory of chemicals, instruments, and equipment.
• Provides instructional/technical support, training and assistance to faculty, students and staff as required.
• Maintains proper housekeeping in the physical science instructional laboratory classrooms, stockrooms, longterm storage and preparation areas as required. Cleans laboratory tables, equipment, glassware, etc.
• Restocks student drawers, laboratory stations and laboratory stock cabinets within the instructional laboratory classrooms as required (once/semester minimum).
• Assembles, calibrates, and maintains scientific equipment and instruments as necessary. Conducts minor equipment and instrument repairs.
• Other duties as assigned by the Laboratory Coordinator and/or the Department Head.
Education and Certificates
• Associate’s degree or higher with a science emphasis or equivalent work experience.
• Awareness of laboratory safety procedures and OSHA regulations.
• Must have valid driver’s license and dependable vehicle.
▪ Ability to lift and move up to 40 pounds.
▪ Must have mobility to navigate between the 4 floors where the departments are located
▪ Requires a high degree of ‘attention to details’, excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize, and complete tasks in a timely manner.
▪ Team player who maintains a positive working relationship with co-workers.
▪ Must be proficient in verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills to work effectively with people of diverse ages, ethnic, sexual and socio-economic backgrounds.
▪ Ability to work under pressure and back-up the Laboratory Coordinator position.
▪ Possess mature judgment and is flexible in regards to interruptions and ability to handle pressure situations.
▪ Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations.
▪ Project a professional image including punctuality and good attendance record.
▪ Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving abilities, and resourcefulness.
▪ Ability to perform daily routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
▪ Ability to work independently
▪ Ability to meet deadlines and maintain confidentiality.
▪ Must be self-motivated, dependable, professional and courteous.
▪ Indoor environment
▪ Departments are located on 4 floors of the Science Center
▪ Grand Rapids Community College is required to comply with the OSHA emergency temporary standard (ETS). Employees will either have to be vaccinated or comply with weekly testing requirements.
Method of Application:
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. To apply for this position, please visit our website at Job Postings . Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will open until filled. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295