Instructor, Practical Nursing (2 openings)
Department : Practical Nursing
Location : Beatrice
Job Category : Faculty
Job Type : Full time
Posting Number : 01447
General Description of Position
Under the general direction and supervision of the Associate Dean and Dean of Health Sciences, the Practical Nursing Instructor will instruct students in various courses in the classroom (may be face-to-face, on-line, or in laboratory/clinical setting). The instructor may serve as a coordinator for a group of courses or be the lead instructor for a course or courses with the program. The instructor develops and implements the course syllabus according to the program curriculum plan and SCC policies in cooperation with other faculty.
Instruct and Evaluate Students:
- Provide classroom/laboratory/clinical/on-line instruction consistent with course objectives and standards for Practical Nursing.
- Teach courses in the Health Sciences Division as assigned in cooperation with the program faculty.
- Correlate classroom instruction with clinical experience through appropriate assignments and clinical conferences/evaluations according to the Program curriculum plan.
- Assign learning experiences in a sequential manner to integrate theory with practice.
- Communicate with appropriate staff within the cooperating agencies regarding the objectives to be met and the skills and procedures students need.
- Provide students and agencies with schedules for clinical and a way to communicate changes in a timely manner.
- Orient students to clinical facilities and supervise students as required by accreditation and the facility.
- Monitor safe laboratory/clinical practice for students.
- Select a variety of learning experiences in a variety of settings to allow students to gain knowledge of their role in the health care team and meet their educational needs.
- Utilize a variety of teaching strategies and modern technology in the classroom, laboratory and clinical settings.
- Use the Health Sciences IDC as appropriate for the program to enhance student learning and provide experiences that students may not have the opportunity to participate in due to limited clinical availability.
- Evaluate students on a continual basis, keeping them apprised of their progress, maintain accurate student records, and submit grades as required.
- Establish positive interpersonal relations with students.
- Act as a role model by practicing the concepts, principles, skills and attitudes needed to be an excellent health care worker.
- Demonstrate skills and attitudes consistent with program code of ethics and the program minimum standards.
Provide for Student Evaluation and Record Keeping:
- Prepare, administer, and grade examinations and quizzes promptly.
- Maintain records of grades and attendance, submit mid-term and final grades to the Program Director and Student Services at the conclusion of the course.
- Document performance and keep students apprised of their progress through anecdotal notes, grades, conferences, and regularly scheduled evaluations.
- Participate in the Program Assessment Plan by helping to establish benchmarks for assessing student learning and providing information to evaluate student performance against the established criteria.
Remain Current in Events and Developments Related to Subject Area:
- Increase and improve teaching skills and subject knowledge through personal and professional development such as Staff Development activities, in-service days, workshops/conferences, formal education, continuing education, technical updates and personal study or professional reading.
- Use student instructor/course evaluation results as a tool to improve student learning to demonstrate the HSD belief statement regarding our commitment to continuous improvement of learning.
Develop/Revise Course Curriculum and Educational Materials:
- Develop and/or revise course syllabi and outline as needed to meet the Program philosophy and objectives according to the Instructional Division Guidelines.
- Recommend textbooks to be used in courses according to the Program plan.
- Request/recommend additions or deletions to the Learning Resource Center in cooperation with the Program faculty.
- Plan for needed handouts, syllabi, and other educational materials in advance and follows College, Division and Program rules for printing and copyrights.
Serves as an Academic Advisor for Students:
- Advise individual and/or groups of students about the Program as assigned.
- Keep the Program Director and other Program Faculty informed about advisees while maintaining appropriate confidentiality regarding students.
- Maintain knowledge of information in the College Student Handbook and Program Student Handbook and apply rules and regulations consistently and fairly.
- Document, report, and resolve student disciplinary problems according to established College and Program guidelines.
- Assist in registering students.
- Assist in orientation of new and continuing students.
Participate in College-wide and Division Activities:
- Take an active role in college-wide and Division teams voluntarily or assigned.
- Serve on interview committees for employee candidates.
- Represent the College in a professional and excellent manner at conferences, meetings, and other functions as requested by the College or an outside agency such as a professional organization.
Function as a Member of the Program Team:
- Demonstrate all the attributes and qualities expected of students such as dependability, punctuality, positive attitude, confidentiality, professional appearance, and professional and ethical conduct.
- Abide by the philosophy, rules and guidelines of the Program or work to adapt them through the proper channels of authority and communication.
- Assist the Program Director and other faculty in class, laboratory or clinical whenever possible and as assigned.
- Prepare for, attend, and contribute to monthly Program faculty meetings.
- Take responsibility for meeting annual College requirements for diversity and safety training.
- Participate in Program activities by supplying information, data, and time for curriculum development, budget preparation, new faculty orientation, class schedules, long range planning, and other required reports and activities.
Individual Development Plan (New Instructors):
- Develop and implement an individual, personal, and professional development plan at the time of hire.
- Responsible for keeping own records of in-service and continuing education units/hours for certification/licensure requirements.
- The Program Director and faculty will develop a plan for professional development activities within and outside the college while staying within budgeted resources for conference registration, board & lodging and commercial and miscellaneous travel.
- Promote and support the College’s diversity goals; promote/support Access, Fair Employment, EEO, Equity and Diversity programs.
Promote and support the College’s organizational environment goals. Maximize operational efficiency by enhancing policies and procedures, staffing, and communication processes and practices. Enhance positive communication processes and practices, and maximize a positive and engaging organizational environment by encouraging input, reflective and transparent communication, and compassion and respect toward the views and ideas of others.
The instructor may have additional duties and responsibilities of supervising and coordinating the activities of the program and its faculty if assigned to be Program Director/Department Chair. The primary role of the Program Director/Department Chair is to ensure that through personal and faculty efforts, students are able to achieve the objectives of the program. The Program Director reports to the Dean or Associate Dean of the Division.
- Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Nursing
- Current Nebraska registered nurse license. If licensed in a different state, must be eligible for licensure in Nebraska by date of hire and able to obtain licensure in Nebraska within one year of hire.
- Two (2) years’ experience in nursing.
- Master’s Degree in Nursing OR working towards a Master’s Degree in Nursing, to be completed within six (6) years.
- Teaching experience in post-secondary institution.
Salary : $50,800/yr
Open Date : 01/06/2022
Close Date : 01/24/2022
Open Until Filled : No