Position Title: 10 Month, Full-Time, Tenure Track Faculty – Glass Art
Reports To: Glass Education Administrator
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience
Anticipated Start Date: August 1, 2022
Salem Community College's Glass Art program is housed in the College’s newly built Jones Glass Education Center alongside the Scientific Glass Technology program. The Glass Art program introduces a multitude of glassmaking processes for students to discover the techniques which best serve their creative ideas. The curriculum includes the instruction of flameworking, glassblowing, kiln casting, fusing and slumping, and cold-construction techniques. The program emphasizes the lineage of glass-art making, while at the same time, glass art students are able to push the boundaries of the material.
Salem Community College seeks a full-time faculty member for the Glass Art program; a two year, Associate in Fine Arts with a focus in contemporary glass. The ideal candidate is an experienced and enthusiastic artist educator who can lead the delivery of the program's curriculum and support individual students as a mentor in their academic and professional pursuits. We seek an individual who will strive to hold the program to a high academic standard, act as a collaborative contributor within the department and the institution, and who will positively represent the college within the arts community. Candidates must also submit 20 images of professional work along with a PDF with image descriptions. Applicants will receive submission details upon receipt of the online application.
- Teaches day and evening classes in the Glass Art and Studio Art programs.
- Maintains accurate records of student attendance, academic performance and advises students on course selection, educational success, and transfer and career options.
- Serves on college committees.
- Participates in professional development activities and college functions.
- Acts as an advisor for the student glass club.
- Coordinates the center's exhibition space with the assistance of glass center staff.
- Participates in the planning and execution of the International Flameworking Conference, the glass center's workshops and promotional events
- Assists in the generation and delivery of promotional materials and opportunities.
- Master’s or terminal degree in Fine Art with a focus in glass
- At least one year of teaching glass art courses at the college level required.
- Experience using instructional technologies is required.
- Strong studio practice with active exhibition record.
- Demonstrated abilities in flameworking, glassblowing, kiln processes, and coldworking preferred.
- Exposure instructing foundational studio art courses is preferred.
- Understanding of the operation of studio glass equipment preferred.
- Experience with outcomes assessment is preferred.
- Experience with academic advisement is preferred
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability to implement a variety of creative and engaging classroom teaching and learning strategies, classroom assessment techniques, application activities, and motivational strategies.
- Ability to make positive contributions in the areas of governance, course and curriculum development, and new student recruitment.
Position will remain open until filled; apply before April 1, 2022, for best consideration.
A successful criminal background check will be required as a condition of employment.
Salem Community College is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to recruit, employ, and promote personnel without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, economic status, or mental or physical challenges, in compliance with all Federal and State legislation and regulations pertaining to non-discrimination. The employees of the College are expected to teach or work with other employees, and to supervise or be supervised in their work by other employees without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, economic status, or mental or physical challenges.
As a New Jersey First Act Employer, new employees must establish a primary residence in New Jersey within one year unless an exemption applies.
Effective January 1, 2022, all employees will be required to have the COVID-19 vaccination or submit a COVID weekly negative test.
Job Type: Full-time