Instructional designers play an integral part in the learning process. Designers work with subject matter experts to develop and redesign courses, conduct faculty trainings, and create training materials for both instructors and students. The college will employ six Instructional Designers, who will be assigned to a specific pathway. Though based at one college location, the Instructional Designers will travel to other campuses to support all faculty in their assigned pathway. This is a grant position, externally funded by the U.S. Dept. of Education, Predominantly Black Institutions Formula Grant program.
HINDS COMMUNITY COLLEGE
JOB TITLE: Instructional Design Specialist
REPORTS TO: Director of CTL - Julie Clark DEPARTMENT: CTL
EXEMPT: Yes VICE PRESIDENT: Dr. Keri Cole
GENERAL STATEMENT OF THE FUNCTION
This is a grant position, externally funded by the U.S. Dept. of Education, Predominantly Black Institutions Formula Grant program. Instructional designers play an integral part in the learning process. Designers work with subject matter experts to develop and redesign courses, conduct faculty trainings, and create training materials for both instructors and students.
All Hinds Community College employees must commit to the Caring Campus approach to student engagement and daily apply these general behavioral objectives: listen to student questions and concerns with a positive attitude and make meaningful connections with students.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- BS, MS, or higher degree in instructional design, education, or related field
- Teaching or administrator experience a plus
- Experience as a classroom instructor
- Previous experience in instructional design
- Knowledge of instructional theory, including assessment
- Proficiency with learning management system (preferably Canvas)
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively convey technical information to non-technical colleagues
- Critical thinking skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple simultaneous deadlines
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES, include the following.
Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop and design courses
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to develop course content
- Analyze, update, and refine course content
- Create learning experiences and environments
- Design learning activities and assignments
- Develop instructor manuals, rubrics, and teaching tools
- Implement training schedule Fall, Spring, Summer
- Implement Hinds CC general training, pedagogy training, tool training
- Work with Instructional Tech to assist in training and support of students and faculty regarding instructional tech
- Provide Canvas support for teachers and students (daily on the fly and through scheduled visits to all district campuses)
- Troubleshoot Canvas issues for teachers and students
- Provide instructional technology and pedagogy support across the district to all instructors
- Coordinate training for first year instructors
- Attend professional conferences
- Market trainings to all faculty
- Create tutorials to aid in training
- Attain Quality Matters certifications
- Keep current on best practices in instructional design
- Represent Hinds Center for Teaching and Learning by presenting at other colleges or community groups
- Represent Hinds Center for Teaching and Learning by presenting at conferences (CFTTC)
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, taste and smell. The employee is frequently required to sit.
The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those
an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, and the employee is occasionally required to perform job responsibilities in the outdoors and off site.
Hinds Community College is committed to moving people and communities forward by helping develop their purpose, passion and profession.
Hinds Community College will be a catalyst to create a competitive economy and a compelling culture for Mississippi.
Hinds Community College aspires to the following IDEALS:
In compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX, Education Amendments of 1972 of the Higher Education Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and other applicable Federal and State Acts, Hinds Community College offers equal education and employment opportunities and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability or veteran status in its educational programs and activities. The following have been designated to handle inquiries regarding these policies: EEOC Compliance: Sherry Franklin, Vice President for Utica Campus and Administrative Services, Box 1003, Utica, MS 39175; Phone: 601.885.7002 or Email: EEOC@hindscc.edu. Title IX: DeAndre House Associate Vice President for Student Services, Title IX Coordinator, Box 1100 Raymond MS 39154; Phone: 601.857.3889 or Email: Titleix@hindscc.edu.
Full Time/Part Time:
12 Month 260 Days