Requisition Id 7115
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
The Energy Storage and Conversion Manufacturing Group in the Electrification Section of the Energy Science and Technology Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is seeking applicants for a Postdoctoral Research Associate to conduct research on electrode formulation, coating technology, and architecture design for batteries with high-energy and high-power density. The successful candidate will also be expected to write high impact papers, conduct data analysis, and work with advanced battery professionals. This position resides in the Department of Energy (DOE) Battery Manufacturing R&D Facility (BMF) at ORNL.
- Carry out work on the formulation chemistry and science of anode and cathode dispersions for next-generation lithium-ion batteries (LIBs)
- Understand mass transport limiting on high-energy cells
- Design novel electrode architecture for simultaneous high-energy and high-power LIB electrodes
- Design of next-generation cells including new separators, active materials, and thick, structured electrodes
- Develop techniques and strategies for cell electrochemical measurements and post-mortem analysis.
- Write high impact papers on transformational battery technologies
- Network and develop collaboration with other groups and divisions internally and with other national labs, industry, and utilities
- A PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Electrochemistry, Materials Science or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Strong publication record
- Strong ability/aptitude to contribute to proposal writing, write reports, and publish journal papers and patents
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.