Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.Job Description
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to independently work on light matter interactions with emphasis on laser damage science. An important aspect of the work involves development of novel, rapid, high sensitivity optical microscopy capabilities, extensive multimodal characterization, and data analysis. Particular interest will be shown to candidates with experience in developing various optical systems using multiple laser systems, hands-on laboratory experimentation (e.g., ability to configure automated experiments for efficient data collection), and analysis of large data sets (e.g., machine learning). This position is in the Laser Material Interaction Science group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in multi-modal optical characterization of optical materials.
- Design and conduct experiments related to laser damage.
- Engineer, construct, and modify optical apparatuses for optical material characterization.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research.
- Convey capabilities and new opportunities to DOE and internal sponsors.
- Develop and present written analyses and verbal briefings that capture and communicate research results as well as periodic progress reports.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. Physics, Material Science, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or related field.
- Experience in laser technology and optics and with various laser (CW, ns, ps, and fs) systems.
- Experience in optical system design and building complex optical layouts.
- Experience with laser material processing techniques (i.e., environment-controlled laser processing).
- Experience with laser material characterization methods (i.e., time-resolved PL, pump probe).
- Experience with fundamentals of non-linear optical interactions (i.e., SHG).
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, execution, and analysis, with the ability to think broadly and devise innovative solutions to problems to accomplish objectives.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written reports, explain technical information, and provide advice to management.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with the ability to work both as part of a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team, as well as the ability to produce independent, original work.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in using class 4 lasers, optics layout, and engineering.
- Experience in wavelength, time, and spatial multiplexing schemes.
- Experience with computer software for instrumentation design and control.
- Experience with data science approaches of machine learning, control augmentation, extreme data algorithms, and/or data-enhanced prediction.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site .
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2 (link is external) .
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form .
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here .Videos To Watch