At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first and foremost, for assisting students in every way.
We are currently seeking a Full-Time Police Officer who will adhere to the aforementioned mission statement and who will provide law enforcement services and ensure the safety of the community with an emphasis to the college community in accordance to college rules, regulations, state and federal laws. Also provides other services or duties as assigned.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Completion of Basic Law Enforcement Academy.
Preferred: Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice or related field.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:
Required: Valid Texas Driver’s License with a 3-year safe driving record. Licensed Texas Peace Officer.
Preferred: TCOLE license (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced, or Master Proficiency Level).
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Preferred: 1 year of experience in Law Enforcement or Criminal Justice.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to accurately and thoroughly process police paperwork.
- Ability to establish/maintain cooperative working relationships with other law enforcement agencies.
- Ability to establish/maintain cooperative working relationships with staff and other departments.
- Ability to evaluate and interpret information and make independent decisions.
- Ability to read and write the English language.
- Ability to remain awake, alert and visually observant at all times.
- Ability to respond to pages, telephones, two-way radios, and other auditory stimulation.
- Ability to think and act quickly, accurately, and calmly in emergency situations.
- Ability to tolerate confinement and remain in a stationary work area during an entire shift.
- Ability to utilize adequate computer skills needed to perform the work required for the position.
- Commitment to discretion and confidentiality concerning sensitive information at all times.
- Efficient Organizational and Task Prioritization Skills.
- Knowledge of basic law enforcement methods.
- Knowledge of computer terminals, radio, and telephone communications equipment.
- Knowledge of police 10-codes.
- Knowledge of proper methods of lifting and moving heavy objects.
- Knowledge of the CLERY Act and Emergency Management including ICS and NIMS.
- Knowledge of vehicle and penal codes.
- Proficient Interpersonal, Verbal, and Written Communication Skills to convey information effectively.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Respond to calls for service and assistance, including but not limited to emergency response.
- Patrol parking lots, unlocks and jumps vehicles, and provide personal escorts to vehicles as necessary.
- Enforce laws (local, state, federal, parking, traffic, and college rules and regulations.)
- Investigate and report various types of incidents; investigate criminal offenses, interview victims and witnesses, interrogate suspects, and prepare written reports.
- Arrest suspects and file appropriate charges.
- Search suspects, vehicles, and structures; collect evidence; and search crime scenes.
- Prepare and submit required reports, maintain electronic and paper files, and locate/research documents in filing system and computer system in a timely manner.
- Act as medical first responder for medical emergencies and provide first aid as needed.
- Conduct walk-throughs of each building on assigned campus.
- Unlock/Lock classrooms or buildings as requested.
- Operate Communications Center, including dispatch, as needed.
- Work closely with college community to reduce and mitigate conflicts.
- Ensure proper care in the use and maintenance of vehicles, equipment and supplies.
- Assist in the operation of the Emergency Operations Center under the Incident Command System (ICS.)
- Conduct safety/education programs and surveys for Faculty, Staff, and Students.
- Subject to recall to active duty in times of need.
- Exhibit strong communication skills both written and verbal. Ability to cultivate relationships built on trust and confidentiality with a diverse population. Must always maintain a high level of professional at all times, especially when dealing with resistance or hostility. Required to provide an exemplary level of customer service to all internal, external customers, vendors, community leaders, etc. Must maintain professionalism in demeanor, work-style and dress.
- Required to demonstrate a strong work ethic with the ability to exercise good judgement and compose various reports/evaluations in a timely fashion. Must be able to make solid recommendations, have strong attention to detail, good organizational skills, and ability to work under pressure to meet stringent deadlines. Must be able to work independently and as a team member.
- Required to interact with all levels of departmental personnel, students, community members, students, vendors, visitors, and management. Required to maintain a commitment to discretion and confidentiality concerning sensitive information, and perform additional duties or job functions required/deemed necessary by supervisory personnel.
- Comply with all college, state and local procedures, rules and regulations. Observe and promote continual improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- As an Amarillo College employee, seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring striving to serve students, peers and the community by embracing the AC Core Values: Wow, Family, Fun, Innovation, and Yes!
Physical Requirements - While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to travel between offices, buildings, campuses and other various locations. Requires the ability to jump, reach above the head, lift and lower, walk up and down stairs quickly, stoop, crouch, kneel, and crawl. Requires the ability to demonstrate use of arms, hands, and legs and occasionally exert physical effort for the purpose of self-defense as required. May be required to walk or stand for long periods of time and work in various/uncomfortable climatic temperatures. Required to remain awake, alert and visually observant at all times. Required to maintain the ability to lift, push, pull and carry heavy objects as required (i.e. maneuver objects in excess of 200 pounds with assistance of others and/or appropriate equipment.)
Working Conditions - The nature of police work involves a high degree of risk and exposure to various hazards to include criminal offenses, emergency response, traffic stops, and a diversity of call for service.Must be willing to work a flexible schedule (days, nights, weekends, holidays, and varying events as necessary.) Timely and regular attendance for all employees is required to ensure adequate staffing, positive employee morale, and to meet expected productivity standards throughout the organization. Employees will be held accountable for adhering to their workplace schedules. Employee is required to maintain a current Texas Class C driver’s license with a 3-year safe driving record and current Texas Peach Officer license. Any travel necessary for this position requires the employee to follow the Amarillo College travel policies and procedures as written.
Working Environment - This position operates in a professional office environment, and in various campus locations and facilities outside of the office. Requires work with little to no supervision. Environment may include noisy or frequent interruptions and from vehicle locations. Self-sufficiency is critical.
Salary - Aligned with the current published salary scale for the represented position grade, commensurate with experience.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.
Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non-appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting