Position Title Student Services Generalist
Department One Stop Operations
Full-time, Part-time, Adjunct Full Time
Exempt or Non-Exempt Exempt
Regular,Temporary, or Grant Regular
The Student Services Generalist is the primary interface with students seeking entry into the College. The Generalist will be responsible to facilitate applications, placement testing, advising, Financial Aid, and registration through personal contact and follow through with the prospective student as she/he proceeds through the registration process.
Characteristics, Duties, and Responsibilities
· Develops academic and individual action plans for students on caseload to guide students toward on-time graduation; implements student retention programs as needed.
· Assists students through the complete admission process by providing application completion assistance, information regarding academic placement testing, academic advising as appropriate or handoff to student services specialist to resolve unusual issues, basic financial aid assistance or handoff to financial aid counselor to resolve unusual issues; guidance for completion of registration and payment
· Support the testing center for proctoring of classroom tests, administration of CLEP, and ESL testing, as well as other associated tests.
· Assists students with Web services, College Portal, and College E-mail instruction, tuition/fee payment instruction, and information on internal and external scholarship opportunities.
· Assists students in co-curricular student development by providing information regarding Student Government Opportunities, volunteer opportunities, internship opportunities, College Club membership and opportunities, College Life sponsored events such as Student Theater and the student art gallery, and deadline dates for various opportunities.
· Assists with campus previews, new student orientations, parent orientations, financial literacy and other programs as assigned and provides on-going information to students, potential students, and parents regarding policies, programs, and procedures.
· Reads, interprets, and communicates College policies and procedures.
· Recommends improvements in department procedures. Collaborates with other staff/administrators/faculty to identify needed improvements in procedures and communication.
· Maintains records of students served and services provided. Maintains essential records and files.
· Performs related duties as assigned by supervisor.
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· Outstanding customer service and communication skills.
· Proficient in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
Competencies and Skills Required
· Must possess strong interpersonal skills to interact tactfully and courteously with students, the general public, faculty, and other staff members.
· Must be a “quick study” in order to quickly grasp knowledge of policies and procedures relating to every aspect of student services that a prospective or current student may utilize.
· Analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to take required initiative to solve problems.
· Ability to collaborate with others.
· Commitment to student service and a diverse population.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
· This position’s duties are normally performed in a typical interior/residence work environment, based on the activity scheduled.
· Some physical effort required; however, the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
· No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
· Some travel required.
Union County College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, marital status, religion, age, disability, handicap or other legally protected status in its provision of employment, education, and activities, or other services.
Union County College is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for full-time faculty and staff which includes twenty medical plans to choose from including PPO, HMO and HD plans offered by BC/BS and Aetna, three dental plans including two PPOs and one DMO offered by Delta Dental of NJ, and a pension plan with seven investment carriers. We also offer twenty vacation days, ten paid holidays, and a ten week summer work schedule which allows the college to close on Fridays. Other additional benefits include gym privileges, tuition remission for credit and non-credit courses at Union County College, and tuition reimbursement for an approved degree program at an accredited college or university.
Terms of Employment
Full-time. Flexible schedule to meet department needs. Some evening, weekends, and extended hours will be required. Ability and willingness to travel on short notice to all on and off- campus sites as needed by the college. Flexible hours are required throughout the year, especially at peak times. Position may be required to work at any campus at any time. Employee must establish primary residency in New Jersey within one year of appointment unless an exemption applies.