America Votes works with over 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections and protect every American’s right to vote.
Since 2003, America Votes has been the common link between many of the largest and most influential issue and membership organizations in the country, serving as the coordination hub of the progressive community. America Votes’ work has brought together a wide range of causes and built a unified coalition that has transformed how the progressive community works. Together, they have engaged communities across the country to take action on critical issues – from fighting for working families, to advancing women’s healthcare, to protecting the environment, and more – and mobilized millions of voters to turn out on Election Day.
America Votes works year-round nationally and in more than 20 key states, acting as a permanent campaign to continually advance progressive causes, modernize elections and win elections. America Votes provides a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states.
America Votes also works to improve election systems and fight back against efforts to suppress voters, taking the lead throughout their state network to coordinate and execute advocacy campaigns with allies to reform elections and modernize the voting process.
America Votes is committed to developing long-term roadmaps and setting critical goals for states in 2021. With an eye on redistricting and the consequences of extreme conservative gerrymanders, these efforts are essential to building progressive power in the states, session-by-session and election-by-election.
America Votes and their partner organizations are at the heart of the progressive movement’s effort to advance policies and win elections. In 2020, the America Votes coalition deployed their largest-ever voter engagement and mobilization effort to millions of voters. In 2021-2022, the coalition will be on the ground educating and mobilizing voters.
Commitment to Racial Equity
America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity through organizational systems and policies that are consistently tested, evaluated and updated. Some organizational priorities include:
Building reflective and equitable state and national networks and partnerships.
- Increasing engagement of state-based groups building power in communities of color in the planning process.
- Expanding the Community Power Builders program, designed to support organizations led by and working in communities of color as they emerge into the 501(c)(4) space.
America Votes is seeking a thoughtful, confident leader with a proven record of success as a campaign strategist and a manager of people and operations to serve as one of three Deputy Directors, States.
These newly created positions will work directly with the national field team to support the America Votes’ state table network including fostering the growth, sustainability, and effectiveness of existing and emerging state tables.
The Deputy Director directly manages a set of states within the state network and supports state teams in the development, implementation, and analysis of state campaign plans, both advocacy and electoral with an emphasis on direct voter contact and education.
The Deputy Director will be a goal oriented, collaborative team player with experience developing and managing electoral issue campaigns, targeting, and modeling.
The ideal candidate is an exceptional communicator who leads by example, brings experience and humility managing high-performing teams to the role and is comfortable frequently switching between offering high-level strategic advice and developing complex spreadsheets.
Work with the National Field Director to foster the growth, sustainability, and effectiveness of existing and emerging state tables.
- Manage State Directors to goals, including development of campaign plans, including the drafting of field budgets (including voter contact and education), work plans, campaign training and organizational skills and overall timelines.
- Support state teams with the development, implementation, and analysis of state campaign plans, with an emphasis on direct voter contact programs.
- Maintain ongoing knowledge of state table operations and programs, including cross-state and state-specific products in order to provide information to various audiences of stakeholders.
- Lead the development of content for reports and presentations for a diverse audience of stakeholders. Deliver presentations to stakeholders, sometimes on short timelines.
- Manage, coach and support a subset of State Directors.
- Identify opportunities for cross-state learning among state table staff on best practices.
- Innovate and adjust in the rapidly changing environment.
- Manage special projects to deliver on the national field team goals.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes
Candidates should be thoughtful, experienced leaders who bring a track record of fostering collaborative relationships and seeking and delivering feedback as a manager. All candidates should bring excellent judgment, flexibility, creativity and strong emotional intelligence. Candidates should be highly organized, detail-oriented and thrive handling multiple projects simultaneously in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
At least six-eight years of campaign experience, with at least two years executing program in a state.
- Four+ years of staff management experience in a campaign environment or comparable setting with at least two years of experience managing senior-level staff.
- Strong background in direct voter contact programs.
- Experience working with underrepresented and/or historically marginalized communities, particularly in political, field, and organizing settings.
- Expertise with electoral plan writing, targeting, and modeling.
- Ability to understand and synthesize data, using it to inform strategy and problem solve.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work with leaders, partners, and staff at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work long and irregular hours with travel, up to 50%, during key time periods (as allowable by the health environment).
- Proficiency in Google Suite tools or MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of progressive organizations and operations a plus.
- Interest in voting rights and election modernization a plus.
- Experience with voting rights campaigns a plus.
- Experience with IE campaigns and VAN a plus.
There is no education requirement for this position. Candidates from a range of educational and professional backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Compensation, Structure and Location
Salary is commensurate with experience, $100,000-110,000, Benefits for this position include health, dental and vision insurance, paid vacation, paid sick days, and parental leave, as well as 401(K) after six months of continuous service with the organization.
This management position reports to the National Field Director.
The location of these positions is flexible. Some travel and reasonable access to an airport is required. America Votes has offices located in DC, CO, FL, GA, MI, MN, NC, NH, NM, NV, OH, PA, and WI. America Votes is currently working remotely; however, if you are based in a state with an AV office, a hybrid approach may be possible, depending on local guidance.
Submit a cover letter and resume online at: https://grossmansolutions.applytojob.com. The cover letter should be concise, compelling and outline why you are the right person for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to America Votes’ work on advancing racial equity.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law. People of color, LGBTQ candidates, individuals with disabilities, and neurodivergent individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.