Harvest Development Group, a national consulting firm for nonprofit organizations, is managing the recruitment of this position on behalf of Middlesex United Way, a nonprofit organization, located in Middletown, Connecticut.
No direct inquiries, please, to Middletown United Way, members of their staff, or Board of Directors. All inquiries regarding the position may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resumes may be submitted to: Middlesex United Way Job Posting
A cover letter is required, not to exceed one page, and should clearly address background, skills, and experiences. Application materials should also clearly address the minimum requirements for the position
About the Organization
Middlesex United Way is dedicated to strengthening lives, helping people, and improving community conditions in the fifteen towns in Middlesex County, serving the towns of Chester, Clinton, Cromwell, Deep River, Durham, East Haddam, East Hampton, Essex, Haddam, Killingworth, Middlefield, Middletown, Old Saybrook, Portland, and Westbrook.
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned strategic, collaborative, mission-driven and visionary leader, working with the Middlesex United Way staff, its Board of Directors, partner agencies, external partners and constituents dedicated to the mission, vision, and core values of the organization. The CEO will be the outward face to the community, building constituencies with donors, businesses, agencies, government officials and other stakeholders to sustain and advance the work of the organization and the communities it serves.
The successful candidate will be one who:
● Inspires and motivates internal and external stakeholders to support the mission, strategic plan, and goals
● Conceptualizes, develops, and executes plans in support of the mission and strategic plan
● Demonstrates ability to work and collaborate with a diverse group of constituents
● Leads by example with integrity and respect, serving as a role model for staff and the community
● Demonstrates accountability for the entire organization
● Bases decisions that support the mission and strategic plan of the organization and develops the tactics for implementation
● Develops and monitor metrics aligned to the strategy and goals of the organization
● Demonstrates and embraces the organization’s inclusive, diverse, anti-racist, and equitable community
Vision and Strategic Leadership
● Ensure the mission and vision are articulated and shared with a wide range of stakeholders
● Collaborate closely with the Board and Staff to continually refine and execute a vision and plan of action for increased impact, long term growth and sustainability
Organizational Management, Financial Management, Planning
● Manage the monthly, quarterly and annual budget and financial reports
● Monitor financial reporting including and not limited to cash flow and budget forecasting
● Monitor official records and documents to ensure compliance with federal, state, local and United Way Worldwide regulations
● Assess and manage the infrastructure for efficiencies in collaboration with staff
● Support staff in navigating relationships with partners/funders, and state & local governments
External Community Engagement and Fund Development
● Deepen and widen existing community partnerships and cultivate new relationships to further enhance the organization’s image and brand throughout the community
● Advocate with local and state government for legislation and policies that support the organization
● Develop and implement a robust fund development plan
● Create fundraising plan to supplement traditional workplace campaign model
● Oversee and direct grant opportunities, including grant writing, grant submission, and evaluation process review of grant applications from partner agencies.
● Cultivate and steward individual, corporate, and foundation donors
● Proven ability to interact and influence philanthropic leaders.
● Experience motivating and managing high-profile volunteer leadership and senior executives.
● Set goals and assures annual campaign generates maximum financial support
● Create an atmosphere that respects and embraces engagement of all people, ideas and backgrounds and aligns with United Way’s values, both internal and external to the organization
Culture and Staff Relations
● Inspire and motivate a highly skilled, diverse, and committed team of staff
● Promote a culture that attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse staff of professional and highly qualified professionals
● Supervise, mentor, and coach a staff of six
● Collaborate with staff as a knowledgeable part of problem-solving team
● Encourage staff development and assists staff in relating their specialized work throughout the organization
● Ensure inclusive, transparent, and regular communications both internally and externally
● Communicate expectations with staff, establishing metrics and plans in support of the strategic plan
● Build, motivate, and develop staff and is an effective leader within a cross-functional team setting.
● Develop and grow team members and manage to high levels of performance.
● Serve as a role model and effective coach for other managers and staff
● Perform annual performance reviews for staff; meet quarterly to review performance objectives and goals
Collaboration with Board of Directors
● Develop and present recommendations for annual business plans and budgets
● Advance the strategic plan for the organization in support of the organization's mission
● Provide regular updates on operational, program, and financial performance and outcomes
● Work closely with the Board to ensure compliance with bylaws, policies, and directives
● Partner with the Board leadership to continually strengthen governance practices and build a diverse Board of Directors
● Minimum of Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree desirable. Degree in Nonprofit Management, Business Administration or related field desired
● Seven years of successful senior-level management experience in the nonprofit sector. Prior United Way experience desired.
● Demonstrated experience and results in developing, implementing and monitoring strategic, operational, financial, and fund development plans
● Demonstrated experience in building teams, creating coalitions with existing and new partnerships
● Financial and operational management in a public or nonprofit agency or program, and grant management
● Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
● Experience in building teams and conflict management
● Fundraising or extensive experience in the leadership and management of organizations of comparable size and mission
● Experience in diversifying revenue and increasing philanthropic support
Middlesex United Way is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The successful candidate will be required to consent to a background check.