Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.Job Description
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher in the field of radiative properties of high energy density (HED) plasmas. This position requires expertise in one or more of the following areas: the quantum theory of radiation-matter interaction; opacity and equation-of-state in high temperature plasmas; non-linear laser-plasma interactions; Non-Local Thermal Equilbrium (NLTE) atomic systems; quantum computation. A major objective of the theory and modeling group is to advance the understanding of radiation-matter interaction, for example, in the absorption of high-energy radiation in HED plasmas. A successful candidate will work with the theory and modeling teams to advance theoretical ideas and implement computer models. In addition to traditional computational methods, the group is beginning to explore the application of quantum computing to HED physics modeling. Work will also include interacting closely with experimental teams working at a variety of laser-plasma HED experimental facilities, such as at the NIF laser facility. This position is with the Theory and Modeling Group, High Energy Density Physics Section, Physics Division.
In this role you will
- Advance the current state of the art in theoretical modeling of the radiative properties of HED plasmas.
- Collaborate with theory and modeling teams to develop new theories and implement computer models, such as for improved opacity or equation-of-state calculations of high temperature plasmas.
- Publish research results in external peer-reviewed scientific journals and participate in international conferences.
- Present formal and informal overview of research progress at weekly meetings.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in physics, atomic physics, plasma science or a related field.
- Expertise in quantum theory of radiation and matter.
- Experience in computer modeling and programming, GPUs a plus.
- Ability to work independently on technical tasks, influence technical objectives, to provide in depth analysis, and develop unique technical solutions.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers and other technical and administrative staff.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment, prepare written reports and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- General knowledge of plasma spectroscopy and diagnostic methods.
- Knowledge of quantum computing and applications.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site .
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2 (link is external) .
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form .
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here .Videos To Watch