To apply, please submit a letter of interest, resume, salary requirements, and writing sample on Idealist: https://www.idealist.org/en/nonprofit-job/6d6ea56d651840ed942c3360e58e81e3-director-of-media-relations-family-equality-new-york.
Job Title: Director of Media Relations
Location: Flexible (Remote) – ability to set up a home office is required
Reporting to: Chief Communications Officer
Salary: $60,000-70,000 + generous benefits package
Key relationships: CCO, Video Producer & Storyteller, CEO, Chief of Staff
Status: Full time, salaried
Family Equality advances legal and lived equality for current and future LGBTQ+ families through building community, changing hearts and minds, and driving policy change. We envision a future where:
- All LGBTQ+ families and youth live in communities that recognize, respect, protect, and value them.
- Everyone has the right and opportunity to form and sustain a loving family.
- Systems of service and support are free of discrimination and maximize opportunities for LGBTQ+ families & youth.
As an organization, we have prioritized anti-racism and integrating racial equity into every facet of our work. We acknowledge our history as a predominately white organization and are committed to ending white supremacy. Doing so is essential to our objective of full equality for all LGBTQ+ people.
Family Equality provides a team-based environment, and we value the benefits of a diversified staff and workplace. Black (or African American), Indigenous, Asian Pacific Islander, Latinx, Middle Eastern, North African, and other people who belong to communities of color; LGBTQ+ people; intersex people; women; immigrants; people with disabilities, including those living with HIV; formerly incarcerated people; and people with lived experiences in poverty and the child welfare system are strongly encouraged to apply.
Family Equality is seeking to fulfill a new role on our Communications team: Director of Media Relations. With nearly four million LGBTQ+ millennials seeking to expand their families and critical legislation like the Equality Act sitting in Congress, we need to ensure that the people who need us can find us. By generating media coverage across print, digital, and broadcast outlets, the Director of Media Relations will play a crucial role in raising awareness for our work and shaping public discourse.
Family Equality’s Director of Media Relations will oversee day-to-day media inquiries and rapid response communications in addition to developing and implementing long-term press and media engagement strategies. They will work closely with the rest of the Communications team: our video producer/storyteller and our Chief Communications Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Our new Director of Media Relations will amplify Family Equality’s work by…
- Developing media strategies that will expand our reach and authentically engage LGBTQ+ audiences, BIPOC communities, and key influencers/decision-makers/allies;
- Conducting frequent media training and providing daily opportunity-specific media prep for Family Equality spokespersons and staff; this includes producing background information and talking points (“if-asked” guidances);
- Ensuring consistent messaging and branding across all of Family Equality’s media materials and related communications collateral;
- Creating formal media & press plans for events, reports, project launches, etc.;
- Distributing press releases, media advisories, and other Family Equality materials (primary through MuckRack);
- Collaborating with the Communications team, the Chief of Staff, and the Chief Executive Officer to create media moments and highlight Family Equality’s work, including providing media support to the CEO’s speaking engagements;
- Tracking media coverage and creating reports for internal teams and external stakeholders.
Our new Director of Media Relations will shape the LGBTQ+ family narrative in media by…
- Creating, maintaining, and implementing an editorial calendar for pitching editorials, profiles, and other Family Equality-related content—regularly offering spokespeople to media outlets;
- Drafting and reviewing op-eds and LTEs written by staff and spokespeople;
- Meeting with journalists, editors, producers, and editorial boards to deepen relationships and generate new opportunities for coverage;
- Serving as a responsive point of contact for media requests;
- Maintaining a comprehensive media database of journalists and press contacts (primarily through MuckRack);
- Monitoring publications, social media, and other sources for Family Equality mentions, relevant stories, and new press contacts.
Our new Director of Media Relations will drive action in support of LGBTQ+ families by…
- Managing rapid-response and crisis communications;
- Supporting Policy, Programs, and Development teams with media needs, including coordinating press conference logistics;
- Creating engaging, inspiring press materials like press releases and quotes from Family Equality’s leadership (often via rapid response);
- Working cross-departmentally to identify key storytellers for press and media opportunities;
- Representing Family Equality at coalition meetings, coordinating strategy on key issues with movement partners, and ensuring that Family Equality’s voice is included in coverage.
Note: You will spend most days on the phone, video, or email communicating with our team internally and potential collaborators externally. We are interested in candidates who are passionate about traditional media and want to play this vital role in the movement for LGBTQ+ family equality!
Qualifications & Desired Skills
This job is for you if you are…
- An experienced media relations professional who has worked closely with a nonprofit organization or entity;
- Committed to the fight for LGBTQ+ equality;
- Committed to racial and economic justice with an understanding of—or demonstrated desire to learn about—the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities;
- Unflappable – some communications may feel high intensity (urgent, immediate, etc.); we need a person committed to creative problem-solving, even under pressure.
We’re also looking for someone who can…
- Leverage digital and social media to develop media relationships and drive coverage;
- Draft, edit, review, and strengthen press releases, quotes, op-eds, talking points, media statements, email pitches, briefing documents, and other written materials;
- Synthesize complex and lengthy concepts and stories into compelling, digestible pieces of content;
- Work collaboratively with remote employees;
- Be responsible as the “final approver” of communications that will go public.
Finally, we’re hoping to find someone who has…
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience in journalism, English, Media & Communications, or a related field
- A consistent track record of placing a variety of high-impact media coverage in broadcast, radio, print, and digital outlets;
- Strong relationships with an extensive network of journalists, editors, and producers at leading media outlets across print, digital, radio, and television—especially outlets focused on diversifying audiences;
- Experience with media relations tools and services (like Muckrack), Adobe Creative Suites, and project-management software like Asana;
- Knowledge of AP-style guidelines;
- Attention to detail and strong proofreading skills.
- We are a national organization with staff working remotely throughout the country. Your desk could be anywhere, as long as you have reliable cell phone access and high-speed internet (we provide monthly cell phone and internet stipends).
- This full-time position requires you to be available 35-40 hours/week via phone/Zoom/email. But we are a family organization committed to the well-being of our employees and their families. As such, we are flexible if you need to take time to provide rides or support, attend appointments, or be available for caregiving.
- Salary is annual, paid on the 15th and last days of every month.
Process/what to expect:
- We will accept applications on an ongoing basis, and the position will remain open until filled. We aim to complete initial interviews by September 24.
- Qualified applicants will receive a reply within five business days to schedule a conversation.
- We expect to conduct initial interviews via Zoom. We will invite a small group of finalists to a second interview via Zoom. All invitations will be sent out via email.
- The start date is flexible. Ideally, candidates will begin employment no later than November 1.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,000.00 - $70,000.00 per year